How do I open a file - cmh error

Ankermi31 15:45 04 Dec 08

Windows XP with Registry Mechanic (running clear) AVG Antispyware/AdAware/SpyBot

Hi, further to an earlier discussion I have now bought myself an Epson {erfection V500 Scanner.

Installed everything with little problem excepts....

On trying to open the User's Guide for Abby FineReader 6.0 Sprint I get the an error message > Windows cannot open this file Sprint0.cmh / it then leaves the message about selecting the programme to do so.

I think it means that the file is compressed or something but can someone tell me what programme to use to get it unstuck please?

johndrew 16:29 04 Dec 08

The scanner file will open in your browser offline. I use Firefox and it opens quickly. You may wish to make the `Work Offline` selection if the browser keeps trying to connect you.

The file for ABBYY FineReader should open from `Start/All Programs/ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint/user`s guide` or if you have opened the program, you should use `Help/Help Topics` or press `F1`.

The Help panel will open in its own window and topics be selectable from there.

In the event the file is corrupt you can either try a re-install over the top or uninstall FineReader completely and re-install it again.

MCE2K5 22:01 04 Dec 08

2nd post by 'Ronnie Vernon MVP' click here

Ankermi31 08:50 05 Dec 08

Hi again John!
Yes the ABBYY FineReader guide should open but it does not. It has deemed itself to want to open in Adobe! Pressing F1 does bring up the correct page i.e. how to use Adobe but that is not solving the problem.

Yes one can open the files as you say but I personally find the Guides far more easier to use and to print off.

Any other thoughts?

Ankermi31 08:54 05 Dec 08

Morning Ronnie.

Thanks your response. I remember actually downloading this Reg.Fix item sometime in the distant past.

Its fine in that it appears to detect all and sundry on one's system however it only clears 2 sectors to use the remainder the so called Free Download then becomes a pay a subscription item.

I am operating windows xp with Registry Mechanic and already have other subscription items (AVG spyware,Registry Mechanic etc)

If I download this again will it sort the problem out or do I really need to pay for something I might never want again?

Ankermi

johndrew 14:37 05 Dec 08

I have not experience this problem with ABBYY or any other help file of this type in any other software, but, if you go to the `Start/All Programs/ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint/user`s guide` and right click `user`s guide` when the options list opens select `Open With/Choose Program` and scroll to `Microsoft HTML Executable` and select this. Hopefully the file will open. If it does you can do the same again and then tick the box at the bottom of the selection window that says `Always use the selected program to open this type of file`.

Best I can offer, hope it works.

MCE2K5 16:01 05 Dec 08

Ankermi31 16:01 05 Dec 08

Hi John,
OK this is what is happening step by step.

Right click user guide>open with/
This shows Adobe Reader 9 as one and XML Editor as the recommended.

Clicking on either brings up a blank Adobe screen.

Going back and starting again, right click> go to other programmes> I do not have M/s HTML Executable listed at all.

Operating system is Windows XP and M/s Office

Am thinking something could be corrupt?

Thanks for your time.

Ankermi31 16:06 05 Dec 08

For MCE2KB

Sorry, fingers got confused with brain, Ronnie is the link you passed to me to have a look at!

My message is for you!

MCE2K5 16:17 05 Dec 08

No Probs, Just wondered ;-)

johndrew 16:31 05 Dec 08

`I do not have M/s HTML Executable listed at all.`

This may be the crux of the matter. Do you have programs such as MS Picture It!? If so open it and try `F1` or select the Help file and see what happens; the help file in MS Picture It! is similar to that in ABBYY and may not open if there is a problem.

If it fails to open I suspect a problem with the content of your XP installation. Have you removed any Windows components? When I select `Open With` my options are Microsoft HTML Executable and IE as Recommended with others below; XML Editor is not anywhere on my list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…