How do I move data from Win 95 PC to XP Home PC?

Blue Woo 13:10 03 Jun 04

I am trying to move my family history data files, plus other data from my old pc to my new pc.
My old pc is (very old) 586 Cyrix, 2GB hard drive, 3.5" drive and CD read only drive, no network card (as I can't get on the internet) and runs Windows '95.
My new pc has LAN/Modem, 3.5"drive, CD & DVD drives and runs XP Home edition.
Can you help

spanneress 13:32 03 Jun 04

Has it got a USB slot? If so a portable USB stick may be your answer, otherwise, if you are confident doing so, remove the hard drive from the old pc and change the jumper so that it is a slave and inseret into your new PC! IF you have not done this before there areplenty of folk on here to talk you through it.

stlucia 13:41 03 Jun 04

The simplest, but long-winded way, is to copy files onto floppies using WinZip, which will allow you to copy files (or groups of files) which are bigger than one floppy.

If you haven't got WinZip, you can download it from the net on your new machine, and copy it on a floppy to your old machine -- oh b***er, I see that the latest version is now too big to fit on one floppy, so you'll have to Google for an older version which does fit on a single floppy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…