How do I make a program load at startup ?

EARLR 23:15 03 Dec 05

I use firefox and want it to load at startup so I dont have to wait for it to load. Does anyone know how to do it.
Thanks.

alan227 23:27 03 Dec 05

If you are using XP follow this guide from the Microsoft Knowledge base.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type mmc, and then click OK.
3. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
4. Click Add.
5. Under Available Stand-alone Snap-ins, click Group Policy, click Add, and then click Finish.

NOTE: If you do not want to edit the Local Computer policy, click Browse to locate the group policy object that you want. Supply your user name and password if prompted, and then click Finish when you return to the Select Group Policy Object dialog box.
6. Click Close, and then in the Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box, click OK.
7. In the left pane of the Group Policy snap-in, expand Local Computer Policy, expand Computer Configuration, and then expand Administrative Templates.
8. Expand the System object, click the Logon object, and then in the right-pane, double-click Run these programs at user logon.
9. Click Enabled, and then click Show.
10. Click Add, type the name of the executable program (.exe) file or document that you want, and then click OK. You must specify the path to the file unless it is located in the %Systemroot% folder.
11. Repeat step 10 to add additional items to the Items to run at logon list.
12. Click OK twice.

The items that you added to the Items to run at logon list start automatically the next time that you log on to Windows on your computer. A list of these items is located in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run

Tim1964 23:39 03 Dec 05

Does XP have a 'startup' folder?

To get a prog to run automatically after booting up I just drag a shortcut of the prog to the startup folder (Win98)

C:\Windows\Start menu\Programs or do a search for a folder called startup.

Jaro 02:53 04 Dec 05

snap

EARLR 21:28 04 Dec 05

I am running XP SP2.
Tried alan227's suggestion but cannot find "Available Stand-alone Snap-ins" in step 5.
Does anyone know the number of the Knowledge base?
Thanks

VoG II 21:32 04 Dec 05

Right click on the Firefox icon on the desktop and choose Copy.

Start, All Programs, Startup. Right click, select Paste.

Strawballs 00:21 05 Dec 05

Start > programs then drag and drop your firefox into the start up.

EARLR 19:26 07 Dec 05

but what I would like to do is have it load in the background like IE does.

squareye 22:14 07 Dec 05

Earlr
Put the icon in the start-up folder as above.If you right click on the icon, and get the properties you can choose how it appears in the Run box ie normal,minimised or maximise; sounds like you want to choose minimised so its running but on the taskbar.

DieSse 22:51 07 Dec 05

"but what I would like to do is have it load in the background like IE does."

If you just mean running but minimised, then the answer is just above. That is not strictly speakng running in the background - do you mean something else?

IE does not *load in the background* - like any other program it loads when you ask it to.

EARLR 20:46 20 Dec 05

tnx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…