How Do I Make My Connection Secure..?

Clart 21:37 25 Nov 07

Hi All,

I'm using a BT Voyager 2100 & have successfully connected to the world wirelessly via the Broadcom WLAN network adapter on my Compaq Presario V6500. I have managed to call up the Voyager's settings (198.162.1.1) and have got as far as entering the Pre-Shared key code. The connection then drops (as it says it will) but I'm then told to refer to my network adapters instructions to finish setting up the connection. I cannot find any such instructions anywhere. Every other network I can see (7 others showing up) are secure, so it can't be too difficult, but I seem to be going round in circles. I'd be grateful if someone could nudge me in the right direction. Cheers.

mgmcc 22:56 25 Nov 07

The usual advice when configuring a router's "wireless" settings is to connect to it by ethernet cable, NOT WIRELESSLY. Otherwise, as soon as you save any changes, the connection will crash.

When you originally connected to the wireless network, a 'profile' will have been saved so that, in future, the adapter will connect automatically to the network when it is available. After setting up WEP/WPA encryption, you need to remove the existing 'profile' and go through the procedure to "Connect" again. You will be prompted to enter the encryption key and, once connected, a new 'profile' will be saved.

Remove profile screenshot click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced