How do i make a "live" network point

Doire_Bhoy 15:32 15 Nov 05

Got a call from a friend who works in a small business which is networked. He bought a new pc and has one spare network point but it isnt "live" yet.

Thnaks for the help.

interzone55 15:50 15 Nov 05

The network point in the wall is simply an extension to a network port on the main switch or router.

Normally these wall points are linked to a patch panel, which in turn will be connected to a router / switch.

If this point is not live then it mustn't be connected to the switch/router.

Now if the person who installed the network was organised, and nobody has messed things up since the wall point should be numbered, and this should match to a corresponding port on the patch panel.

now your job is to work out where the wall point should be connected to...

Good luck
Alan

Doire_Bhoy 15:52 15 Nov 05

Thanks Alan mate.

Doire_Bhoy 09:08 16 Nov 05

So if the wall point isnt live it shouldnt be connected to a switch router. I think it goes into a patch panel then onto a hub or switch.

How then do i make it live?

Anyone

interzone55 16:24 16 Nov 05

You wall socket will have a cable that goes through some ducting to a patch panel, normally somewhere near your server(s). This patch panel will then link to a network switch.

At some point between the wall socket and the switch the connection has been broken.

The neatest option you have is to re-run a cable from the switch to the wall point.

The easiest option is to plug a switch into a working wall point and connect two PCs to the switch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…