How do I make an external USB2 drive bootable?

madwab 14:38 19 Jan 04

...and given this comment from a search on the same topic:

"Note that while Windows XP and some other operating systems won't boot from an external drive"

...what operating systems besides DOS can I use on an external drive? Presumable Linux - any versions of Windows?

I have a 60gb bootable 2.5 drive in a suitable enclosure and a motherboard/bios that supports boot from usb. I'd like to use it as an emergency boot disk, with something more than DOS. Normally I install a Windows OS by creating a primary partition, making it active, and booting with a floppy. The new partition is now C: and ready for a fresh install. However with an external drive that won't work - a/the active partition on the internal master will be C:. So how do I install my OS? (Note, I also want this system to be bootable on any PC that supports boot from usb, so the installation has to be self-contained with no support from NTLDR or any existing OS.)

Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…