How do I make a batch file

anchor 08:55 04 Feb 06

My Chambers CD dictionary would not run on my new Sony Vaio notebook. I tried compatibility mode, but I still got "internal error 33400".

After some research on Google I found that the only way to get the programme to run was to go to Start, select Run, type CMD,(press enter), then type "net stop spooler", (without quotation marks), and press enter. After that, no problems. This has to be done after each re-boot.

If possible I would like to make a batch file to place on the desktop that would do this in just one click. Is this practical, and how can I do it?.

PS: Collins issued a BAT file for their CD dictionary when XP was released. This enabled the programme to run, & also opens the programme.

Skyver 09:07 04 Feb 06

Type the command into notepad on one line, save
the file with the extension .bat for eg netstop.bat,
select Save As and change the Save As type in the Save box from Text Files to All Files - this will stop notepad automatically appending .txt to the file.
If that doesn't work you may need to unhide extensions - Control Panel/Folder Options/View, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" - then check the filename again.

anchor 09:21 04 Feb 06

Thank you for your reply Skyver. Forgive me for being a bit thick, but I would like to clarify it.

I open Notepad, do I just type:

net stop spooler

(and save it as chambers.bat)

or, do I need to precede this with: run

Do I have do write anything to simulate pressing the enter button?.

anchor 09:54 04 Feb 06

Cracked it. Tried a few variations, and found one that worked. Thanks for your help.

Skyver 09:55 04 Feb 06

Spot on, save as you describe, no need to 'run` it, as long as the icon appears as `a cog in a window` on your desktop it can be run just like any other executable file; no need to use any other commands - each line is taken as a single command and run automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…