How do I locate my master socket?

YinHoNg 17:55 20 May 07

I don't think I'm using the master socket for my broadband.

How do I know which is my master socket?

Pamy 17:56 20 May 07

First one (usually)

Pamy 17:57 20 May 07

First one (usually)

YinHoNg 17:58 20 May 07

Hi Pamy, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure which is the first one though? Is there any other way?

rdave13 18:01 20 May 07

There should be a primary box(junction) near a window, follow the cable to the master socket. If you have more sockets then you will have more cables coming out of the master socket than the others..... if you see what I mean.

Diemmess 18:09 20 May 07

In my domain the line from the pole goes into the house at one end to a junction box. Then travels under floor until it reaches the Master socket.
Not good for anyone who didn't know this!

BUT: the master socket is unique because it is larger than any of the others and has many more internal connections to confuse the earnest DIY approach.....

YinHoNg 18:13 20 May 07

Thanks. I'll try and locate all the possible ones and see what happens from there.

rdave13 18:14 20 May 07

Sadly my master box is the same size as the other two boxes in my Kingdom..:(

bjh 18:18 20 May 07

The master box usually has a faceplate divided into two, and unscrewing two screws removes part of this plate. As you remove it, it will "unplug" itself from the backplate, to which it is connected via a standard-looking telephone socket. You can now plug a phone, or a modem into this socket, and ALL the household wiring should be disconnected.

rdave13 18:23 20 May 07

Yet again my master box has none of these wonderful features and was replaced two years ago.

bjh 18:23 20 May 07

Not as clear as I hoped....
The back part is connected to the BT outside line. The front part has all your domestic wiring on it. So, should you wish, you can use the single socket now exposed on the backplate to plug your modem in - and this should give you as good line quality as you can get as (1) all domestic wiring put in by your DIY-incompetent other half (or me, in my case!) is disconnected, and (2) there are no other phones, faxes, alarms Sky wotsits etc to cause interference.

There is advantage to plugging your router into the reassembled box, as, again, all that tatty wire you have installed isn't between you and the beautiful BT line that carries your signal.

If possible, look outside the house/flat, and see where the cable enters your house (if above ground poles used) . Search inside, and the box should be close to this position.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…