How do i link 2 routers to extend wireless network

YinHoNg 22:25 17 Dec 06

I would like to add a second wireless router to my home wireless network so i can boost the signal strength and speed.

My current setup is one wireless router supporting 2 PCs. However, the two PCs are far from the router and although i can browse the internet without problems, anything more intensive than that will make the wireless signal drops dramatically and thus the speed.

The two routers i have are:

1, 3Com Office Connect (this is the one already in use) click here

2, Linksys WAG54G

I have 2 PCs running Windows XP (usb adapters on both). I am on a 2MB broadband connection.

If anybody could give or point me to instructions on how to link these two routers, i'd be eternally grateful!

woodchip 22:34 17 Dec 06

You cannot use two Routers. You need a Signal Booster for Wireless

YinHoNg 22:35 17 Dec 06

Can I not use the second router as an access point? I thought this was possible?

woodchip 22:38 17 Dec 06

Like this one click here

YinHoNg 22:42 17 Dec 06

Thank you I'm reading about it now.

YinHoNg 07:57 18 Dec 06

There are two options I see available to me.

1, I could purchase a Wireless Extender such as the one pointed out by Woodchip (tyvm), for ~£50.

Pros: doubles the range
Cons: HALVES the wireless speed/bandwith and also a bit expensive

2, (Since i have a spare wireless Router anyways), I could just connect two routers together using a normal CAT5/Ethernet/LAN cable and configure it so that it will work!

Pros: almost doubles the range WHILST keeping the wireless speed/bandwith. Relatively easy to set up.
Cons: If you have the second router on a different floor to the current one, you may have to drill holes through ceiling.

Since I have a spare router anyways, I've decided to try the second option as this seems like it fits my case better.

I hope this helps anyone else who's been in need of this.

Source of information: click here

YinHoNg 22:49 19 Dec 06

I was wondering - is it possible to do this with 3 routers?! as in link the first one to the second and the second one with the third??

would this be much more complicated to set up?

YinHoNg 18:23 27 Dec 06

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now