How do I know which multiple files to delete

prince midas 16:46 02 Sep 10

I obtained a copy from PCAdvisor this month giving a test run of SpeedUpMy Pc.
It checked my Pc and said I have loads of multiple copies of the same files.I am worried about deleleting important files,how do I know which ones not to delete.

iscanut2 17:02 02 Sep 10

If in doubt, leave well alone.

gazzaho 17:27 02 Sep 10

The problem with deleting multiple files in this type of circumstance is which way the files are selected as multiple. You can have two or more files on different drives or folders with the same name containing different information.

Try it yourself create two text files using notepad in different folders with different content both with the same name then do a search.

A program that checks file names without checking contents would flag them as being identical even though they're not, iscanut is right if in doubt.

rawprawn 17:28 02 Sep 10

As iscanut says be very careful, for example if you have an external drive or a partition which you use to backup your files etc, these will show as copies.
I long ago gave up trying to find multiple files for deletion since there are so many that you find you need after you have deleted them.

prince midas 18:20 02 Sep 10

Thanks I will leave well alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…