How do I interpret Adaware scan results?

Pier1 23:15 13 Feb 03

Just installed Adaware and ran my first scan. It came up with 4 items: 1 Regkey (found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}) and 3 Dataminers (cookies)

Thing is, I don't know whether I need to get rid of them or not.

What is the general rule for knowing what to get rid of?

VoG™ 23:19 13 Feb 03

Personally I get rid of everything that AdAware identifies, and I have not come to any harm.

Spybot is different and care is needed.

barryoneoff 23:32 13 Feb 03

with VoG. If you are in doubt, simply back them up before deleting. As a rule, they are safe to go.

Pier1 13:46 14 Feb 03

Thanks guys.

Anyone else got anything to say? I'll keep the thread open a bit longer.

wotbus@ 14:17 14 Feb 03

tried Adsubtract? Since I began running Adsubstract Pro, it has made Adaware redundant. I now run Adaware once by month together with other maintenance tools, just as a "perhaps" check, but it never finds anything. After a being on the net for some time each day I use Adsubtract to clean cookies/temp files before I shutdown. Works a treat.

Lead 14:20 14 Feb 03

If I have any doubts as to the files Adaware finds, I back them up before deletion. But usually I just delete.

hoverman 14:35 14 Feb 03

Same here - I delete all it finds and then delete the backups after a few days if all is well.

Stokey 14:38 14 Feb 03

Hi Pier1, yep just leave it to it's own resources,

Further to VoG™'s contribution re: Spybot, if you click on "Fix selected problems" Spybot will do nothing to upset the applecart either.

Having said that, none of this cookie/spybot/ad-aware stuff will do you any harm if left on you rig but it does take up a little space. Keeping up-to-date on these things is not a crucial issue.

Wes Tam ;-) 16:33 14 Feb 03

Pier1 if you click 'Scan Now'; then in System Scan click 'Customise'; then in Scan Settings click 'General' you can tick 'Auto quarantine prior to removal'.

This means you can let Ad-Aware remove all the spyware and you will have a quarantined backup should anything go amiss.

ps every so often you can delete the quarantined logs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…