How do i install new drive?

Dalglish2 12:19 18 Sep 08

Hi,

My current c drive is creaking under the weight of software and is small at 12Gb. I have Acronis True Image 8.0 - if I image the drive, create a boot disk and replace with a larger one, is it usually straightforward to re-image the new drive or am I missing a step?
I also have a 500Gb external drive- could I make use of that to image the old drive?
Thanks
Sam

hastelloy 12:56 18 Sep 08

clone the existing drive to the new one and then remove the old drive and change the new one to master. Do a backup to the external drive first, in case things go wrong though.

Bris 21:00 18 Sep 08

The fact that you have a 12Gb master suggests that you have an old PC possibly running W98? If so its advisable to replace it with say an 80Gb disc as installing a large one over 132Gb could cause problems. Marvin42s suggestion is the best course of action.

Dalglish2 22:30 18 Sep 08

thanks both.
No, running XP home and an AMD Athlon.
Agree this is a good plan but is it easy to configure the drive as a slave? Is it just moving the jumper settings?
Sam

woodchip 23:17 18 Sep 08

The big drive may not work as it is, on a old computer. BIOS may not support it. Try loading a Image to the new drive the swap it for the old and see if it is seen by BIOS and Windows. You can easy put the old drive back in

woodchip 23:18 18 Sep 08

PS if you load a Image to the Drive it will restore the same size as Old Partition leaving rest of partition to chop up as you want

hastelloy 07:03 19 Sep 08

"is it easy to configure the drive as a slave? Is it just moving the jumper settings?"
Yes - set the jumper for slave or cable select, making sure that the new drive is on the 2nd connector on the cable (ie not the end).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…