How do I instal Win 98SE or Win ME on second hdd??

A Cat Called George 19:23 21 Apr 03

I have Win XP Pro installed on ide0 and want to install Win 98SE or Win ME on ide1. Ide1 is formatted fat32 but both versions of Windows refuse to install as both want to install to ide0 which is formatted ntfs. Also I do not want to have both operating systems on the same drive. I just want an older version of Windows on my second hdd so I can install and run my scanner as Agfa have not and will not release a driver to make it function in WinXP. Using the second hdd means I do not to use a boot-loader. I can just change the boot order in the bios on the rare occasions I want to do any scanning.

powerless 19:28 21 Apr 03

Disconnect you XP hard drive.

Then connect your other hard drive up, you can leave it as slave and you should be able to intall from there.

I have done this and have also switched the boot device as you say works perfectly.

spikeychris 19:38 21 Apr 03

If your not bothered about a bootloader then..

1) Use a Win98/Me Startup disk (with CD support) to boot your computer.

2) Insert your WinME CD into the CD Rom drive.

3) At the A: prompt type X:\Win9x\Setup.exe where X: is your CD-ROM drive.

4) Proceed with the install. When prompted for the install location, you'll see C:\Windows.000. Choose Other directory and change this to the drive you wish to install ME to and name the folder Windows or whatever.

Chris

A Cat Called George 20:13 21 Apr 03

It's going to have to be Powerless's method. Both 98 and Me refuse to proceed any further before getting to the point where you can choose where to install.

A Cat Called George 22:34 21 Apr 03

I have set it up your way and it works perfectly :-)

woodchip 23:00 21 Apr 03

As far as I know you have to load Win98 then XP. Win98 only loades on C:\

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…