How do I instal a 2nd SATA disk (non raid)

Ivor_Monkey 08:47 15 Mar 06

I have installed IDE disks before, but now need to install a second disk on a Dell that already has a 160 ST3160828AS disk. (How do i know if it is sata or sata II?)

My primary interest is increased storage capacity. Raid seems a bit more complicated than I need (but not sure that i fully understand its implication).

Anyway, assuming that I want a second sata disk in a non raid arrangement, do I need identical disk to my existing disk?

Are there any problems if i went for something like Maxtor diamondMax 10 (which seems to have a good review)?

In short, is there anything unusual about installing a second disk in a machine with a sata?

Thanks

xania 09:03 15 Mar 06

If you have SATA but don't install the drivers, then you don't have SATA. You will have to check your drive manual to ensure that it is properly disabled, but, with a non-SATA configuration, no you don't need identical drives.

The different versions of SATA provide either backup or speed benefits. If you go for backup, a single drive failure merely results in loss of one copy. Of course there is some loss of performance whilst the back-up is being written. If you go for speed, if either disc fails, all your data is lost, so you need good back-up elsewhere.

Not all motherboards support both versions of SATA, so you will need to read up about this in your manual. You might find click here interesting.

cycoze 09:19 15 Mar 06

If your board has the SATA connections then you dont have a problem, if the board is already set up to boot from the IDE the SATA will go on as a slave just fine.

Depending on your board you may have to load the SATA drivers first for your new SATA drive to work, check your mobo manual.

Once the drive is installed you will need to initialise it, go into control panel>administrative tools>computer management and select Disk Management in the left hand pane.

Your screen will now have to panes on the right, in the bottom pane you need to right click the new disk and initialise it if it has not already been done, you can now format and partition it and assign a drive letter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:16 15 Mar 06

Master and Slave
Remember since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

Since you alreay have a SAta the following will already be done.

SATA controller driver
Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders.

bjh 11:05 15 Mar 06

Your ST3160828AS drive is SATA 1 (150)

gudgulf 11:29 15 Mar 06

What model is your Dell?

You need to make sure that you have a spare SATA connection on the motherboard first of all.

If you have it should merely be a matter of fitting the new drive and connecting to the motherboard and power supply.Depending on the drive you get you will either need the dedicated SATA power connector (via an adapter if your psu does not have a spare SATA power plug) or a standard 4pin molex connector.

I have 2 SATA drives..on can use either type of power connector,the other will only accept the dedicated SATA power plug.

Your pc will already have SATA capability either installed by Dell or native to many Intel chipsets (My own Intel 865 based does not need any extra driver installation for single SATA drive or RAID0 installations)

You will be able to partition and format the new disc by rt. clicking My Computer and selecting Manage then Disk Management.You should see the new drive in there.

xania 12:19 15 Mar 06

Sorry - please ignore my earlier posting. I've just re-read it. I must be getting senile. All my comments relate top RAID - not SATA. However, the link for SATA is valid.

Ivor_Monkey 21:43 15 Mar 06

Thanks very much for the helpful comments.

My pc is a Dell 9150 with P4 3.4GHz.

So could it be that the sata disk that came installed with the machine is not running as a sata disk (if that makes sense)?

How do I know if I have a Sata driver installed? And once I've installed sata drivers, what difference will that make?

Thanks again

Ivor_Monkey 08:39 17 Mar 06

Please ignore my earlier post (oh you have). Xania threw me about drivers and I didn't catch her correction. As gudgulf suggests I will check to see if i have a spare sta connection.

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now