How do I import .csv data into Excel 2000?

Pineman100 19:22 06 Apr 08

I have a .csv file that I would like to import into an Excel 2000 worksheet. Can anyone please tell me how do this?

Many thanks.

Tj_El 19:30 06 Apr 08

All you need do is double-click on the file...unless what you are asking is how you import the file into an already open workbook containing data?
If the latter then you should be able to use the "Data" menu under which you will find the option to import data. I use Office 2007 so can't give you precise instructions. Maybe someone else can assist who uses Excel 2000...

csqwared 19:46 06 Apr 08

I have Excel 2000 and it's much as Tj_El suggests. Open a workbook - got File/Open ensure the "Files of type" box contains the .csv option, locate the source and "Open". Alternatively if you have data in the workbook got to Data/Get external data/Import text file and follow the screen prompts.

Hope all that helps.

Pineman100 19:50 06 Apr 08

I don't think I've explained myself very clearly. Here's a fuller question:

My ultimate aim is to create a spreadsheet showing all my email contacts, as stored in my Outlook 2000 Contacts folder.

I have exported this folder as a .csv file, but when I try to import the data into Excel (as you suggested, by double-clicking the file) it opens as an Excel spreadsheet, but only showing column headings. There doesn't seem to be any data at all.

Pineman100 19:51 06 Apr 08

Thanks to you, too, csqwared. You posted while I was typing (I'm very slow!)

Tj_El 20:21 06 Apr 08

OK. From memory (it's been a long time since I used OE) when you export your contacts, you need to select the data you wish to export, then choose the file type - you opted for the csv file.
Once done you should have a file containing all your contacts. Check you selected the data (First name, Last name, email address etc) prior to exporting. When you open this exported file you should see everything. If not that's where the issue lies. Did you choose "Comma Separated Values (DOS)" or "Comma Separated Values (Windows)". The latter is what you require.

If you do see all your contacts you're good to go! :-)

Tj_El 20:28 06 Apr 08

Ignore the comment about "(it's been a long time since I used OE)"...I hadn't read your post and read "Outlook" skipping the "2000" part.... :-(

VoG II 20:30 06 Apr 08

You can also try right clicking the csv file, select Open With and choose Notepad. This will show you whether you have successfully exported your contacts.

Alternately you gan get them into Excel directly without using a csv file as an intermediate.
Start a new wortkbook in Excel. Press ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor. Insert > Module and paste in the following code:

Sub GetOutlookContacts()

Dim olapp As Outlook.Application
Dim nspNameSpace As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim fldContacts As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim objContact As Outlook.ContactItem
Dim iRow As Long
Dim sName As String

On Error Resume Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Set olapp = New Outlook.Application
Set nspNameSpace = olapp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set fldContacts = nspNameSpace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)
iRow = 1
Cells(iRow, 1).Resize(1, 5).Value = Array("Full Name", "First Name", "Middle Name", "Last Name", "Email Address 1")
For Each objContact In fldContacts.Items
With objContact
If objContact.Class = olContact Then

iRow = iRow + 1
Cells(iRow, 1).Value = .FullName
Cells(iRow, 2).Value = .FirstName
Cells(iRow, 3).Value = .MiddleName
Cells(iRow, 4).Value = .LastName
Cells(iRow, 5).Value = .Email1Address
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Cells(iRow, 5), Cells(iRow, 5).Value
End If
End With
Next objContact
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Set objContact = Nothing
Set fldContacts = Nothing
Set nspNameSpace = Nothing
Set olapp = Nothing
End Sub

Then Tools > References and tick Microsoft Outlook X.X Library (X.X being your version of Outlook).

Close the Visual Basic Editor using the X. Go to any worksheet, Tools > Macro > Macros, highlight GetOutlookContacts and click the Run button.

Outlook may issue a dire warning that something is trying to access its address book - of course it is! Select Allow for 1 minute and click the Yes button if this happens.

Pineman100 19:17 07 Apr 08

for all your responses.

VoG™ - your response was terrifying, but I squared my shoulders and had a go. Eureka! It worked! Although Outlook didn't seem to object to its address book being accessed.

Thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…