How do I hide an external drive from guest users?

MelkorTheGreat 13:51 26 Sep 07

Hi,

First-timer here, hope you can help. I have a laptop with two external hard-drives. One holds games, music and movies, the other holds work-related spreadsheets and documents as well as personal documents. I have half-a dozen nieces/nephews who visit frequently and go to my "computer room" to play games and music, and watch movies, using the guest sign-on, which I don't mind in the least, but I'm worried that curiosity might lead them to opening and maybe deleting/damaging the material on the other drive. They probably know much more about PCs than I do. Is there a way I can protect the other hard drive so that they can't access it? Any help would be appreciated.

cycoze 14:04 26 Sep 07

Its an external drive, unplug it and lock it in a drawer.

Al94 14:21 26 Sep 07

This might be worth exploring click here

iscanut2 14:48 26 Sep 07

Unplug it !

pj123 16:30 26 Sep 07

Simple, as others have said. Don't have it plugged in.

Belatucadrus 16:40 26 Sep 07

Try Cyptainer mobile click here

amonra 16:50 26 Sep 07

Dont complicate matters with crypts and p/w etc, just take the plug out and put it safe in your bedroom.

Belatucadrus 16:57 26 Sep 07

If it's work related, then a cryt program could be a good idea anyway, only you know how valuable the info is and how much you don't want to share it, or not.

rawprawn 17:15 26 Sep 07

Tweak Ui will let you hide the drive (I am assuming XP)

click here
But as has been said already, unplug it. That way nobody can mess with it.

woodchip 17:33 26 Sep 07

You should never leave it plugged in. A removable Drive is just that, REMOVABLE. If you are leaving it plugged in, You may as well fit it inside the computer

wolfie3000 18:02 26 Sep 07

YOu dont even need to hide the whole drive, you can just hide the USB lead, or the power cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…