How do I hard wire my new laptop to my PC

golfpro 17:25 18 Oct 07

I have a Cable modem to my PC, but no Router as yet. I would like to connect my new laptop to my PC via a hard wire connection just to down load a few programs from the internet which I need to work with until I get my Router. How do I do this and would I have to configure my Laptop's modem/Lan card, or would it recognize this when I plugged it in. I have never done this before, so I hope someone can help.

Modem type: Kathrein DOCSIS 2.0
Laptop: Acer TravelMate 5720G

STREETWORK 20:40 18 Oct 07

You will need to use a crossover cable and then set up the lappy using control panel, internet connections, add new connection and follow the wizard...

mgmcc 20:42 18 Oct 07

Connect the two computers directly with a *CROSSOVER* CAT5 ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "Home Network Connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

If you are running software firewalls, these need to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

golfpro 06:30 19 Oct 07

My PC is running XP and the laptop Vista will this make any difference when I connect the cross over and when I install the router.
When I changed my old PC last year for a new one, I just connected it up to the modem as advised by the ISP, and without changing any settings it logged on to net automaticaly.

golfpro 07:05 19 Oct 07

Just one more thing My cable modem is outboard with just one Ethernet connection from my PC network card. So would I need some sort of Hub or splitter for the Cat5 cable.
Or could I just use a splitter on the modem and an RJ45 connection on either end.
If not, just how do I connect the CAT5 cable.

mgmcc 07:39 19 Oct 07

<<< My PC is running XP and the laptop Vista will this make any difference when I connect the cross over and when I install the router.>>>

If It is the XP PC that is connected to the Cable Modem, follow the instructions above.

<<< My cable modem is outboard with just one Ethernet connection from my PC network card. So would I need some sort of Hub or splitter for the Cat5 cable.>>>

The Internet Connection Sharing *HOST* computer connects to the Cable Modem. The second *CLIENT* computer connect directly to the Host PC. To do this, the Host PC must have two network adapters installed - one to connect to the cable modem and a second to connect to the client PC. The connection to the new laptop can be "wireless" if you plug a USB Wireless Network Adapter into the PC.

The alternative is to connect the Host PC to the Cable Modem by USB thus freeing up the network adapter to connect to the Client PC.

YOU CANNOT SPLIT THE CONNECTION FROM THE CABLE MODEM. It only allows the connection of one computer, hence the need for a router to connect multiple computers.

golfpro 08:05 19 Oct 07

My PC has only one Network card, but the modem has one ethernet connection and one USB. However as this would be just a one off I think I will go out today and buy a wireless Router this would solve a lot of problems or create a few more I've no idea :-). By the way mgmcc I trust there would be no problems connecting a router up with this configuration I've got?
By the way my Internet SP is the one that supplies my Tele programs and internet through the cable plugged into the wall.

mgmcc 09:00 19 Oct 07

As you are using a Cable Modem, be certain to get a "Cable/DSL" router.

Don't confuse the reference to "DSL" with those models which are a *combined* "Router & ADSL Modem" and which are not suitable for Cable, they can only be used with an ADSL enabled phone line.

Suitable models include the Netgear WGR614, D-Link DI-524, Linksys WRT54G.

golfpro 14:35 19 Oct 07

Thanks I got the Liksys WRT54G today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…