How Do I Get Wireless Internet Connected?

Big L 266 18:46 31 Oct 08

Hello.A while back,my friend said that why did I have a cable internet connection from phone socket to router when I had an aerial on the modem to receive a wireless free connection instead?I said I didn't know and contacted Tiscali.In turn,they sent me dozens of screenshots and technical advice none of which made much sense.

I currently connect to the internet from the phonepoint to the router around 20' (4 meters) and my connection speed is around 6 to 7 mbps.The router is a Siemens Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl connected to a 3 year old Aries PC System with using Windows XP Home SP3.

My question is thus:- How do I get wireless internet connected from the phonepoint to the router and get rid of the cable please? I asked Tiscali and their information required me to a 'geek' which I'm not! If you can help,please try and keep your answers simple for this non-geek 54 year old! Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Pineman100 19:01 31 Oct 08

You can't normally get a wireless connection from the phone socket to the router.

The normal system is to plug your router into your phone socket (the main one is better than an extension) and then to have wireless connection from your router to the computer. Remember that your router must be plugged into a microfilter, which then plugs into the phone socket.

If I understand you correctly, you have quite a long lead from your phone socket to the router (20 ft or 4 metres - one or the other!). This seems un-necessarily long, unless you have no alternative.

howard64 09:56 01 Nov 08

as Pineman100 says you need the main router to be connected to the phone socket. With the speed you are getting there would not appear to be anything wrong with your connection to the phone system. The wireless aerial is for you to connect other devices by means of wireless. Such as a laptop which you can use anywhere within range around the house. I found with my bungalow that if I had the router in one room and the other pc in the next room all was well once I moved a couple of rooms away the speed either went right down or I got no connection whatsoever. If you are not intending to move your pc around the house or use a mobile device ie a laptop, then stay as you are it seems pretty good to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…