how do i get wi-fi connection

RM24 10:06 AM 17 Sep 11

I am going to be touring North America by Amtrak train; I want to write a blog as I go around and have access to the net for booking hotels, etc… I know not all of the trains have a WI-FI connection. I’ve done a lot of reading on line but I am not computer literate and I don’t understand all of the technical wording and external USB attachments such as Dongle. All I have accomplished is to get myself thoroughly confused! I don’t want to be stung with huge bills, and I think I need mobile broadband? Can some one please advise me what I need to have in order to get a WI-FI internet connection in areas where free WI-FI connections, internet café’ are not available. Thank you in advance

bremner 15:41 PM 17 Sep 11

M advice would be to wait till you get to the US, then buy a Pre Pay wireless broadband dongle from Verizon or AT & T. E g Verizon pre pay mobile broadband

Forum Editor 19:04 PM 17 Sep 11

bremner's right.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Mobile broadband dongle via your UK phone supplier and use it in America - you'll be charged crippling amounts if you use the service for any length of time.

The Prepaid service to go for is Verizon - their 3G service covers the whole of North America.

RM24 19:39 PM 17 Sep 11

Thank you Bremner

johnathann 09:45 AM 19 Sep 11

It's really a good suggestion. Thanks Bremmer.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites