How do I get rid of Windows ME?

EDDY7 12:04 10 May 03

I have a pc which is running Windows ME, but I want to format the hard drive and reinstall Win 98.
The problem is that there isn't a option on the turn off menu to shutdown Windows and restart in MS Dos so I can't format it though that, the BIOS is set to boot only from the hard disk so putting in a boot disk or OS CD at startup makes no difference and the BIOS settings have a password to stop them being changed to boot from A drive. So other than buying a new hard drive I'm out of idears. Any idears?

golfpro 12:16 10 May 03

Put your Win 98 in the CD drive and select "Clean Install" it should remove all traces of ME. My question is, Why 98 and not XP??

Legolas 12:26 10 May 03

Try clearing the BIOS settings by either removing the battery or if it has a jumper setting on the m/b set that to clear the BIOS this might clear the password and allow you in to the BIOS to change your boot up option. Failing that find out what make of BIOS you have and you will find BIOS passwords on the Internet.

Legolas 12:28 10 May 03

Have you tried formatting from the command prompt within windows?

sattman 15:41 10 May 03

Just a thought was your comptuter with password protection supplied by PC Science by any chance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…