How Do I Get Rid Of Windows 8

dazzawm 17:27 PM 05 Dec 12

Hi have got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it - I hate it! How do I put windows 7 on it? It just won't boot from the disc I have. I have used the disc many times before but it just won't boot from the disc. I have gone into the bios and changed the boot order but it keeps going into 8. Thanks.

dazzawm 19:02 PM 05 Dec 12

I will use this until I find a fix but I really want to format it and put Windows 7 on. My DVD drive is not in the list of boot options just my hard drive. I have a feeling it has something to do with the UEFI and Legacy in the bios but I have tried all the combinations.

daconnor 20:30 PM 05 Dec 12

I think you might need to do this to be able to boot from the Windows 7 disk:

•Open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options. •Click on "Choose what the power button does" on left hand side. •Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable". •Uncheck "Enable Hybrid Boot" at the bottom an option, under Windows shutdown settings.

daconnor 20:39 PM 05 Dec 12

Sorry, I'm thinking of the terminology in the beta versions of Win 8.

In the release version the option you should uncheck is called 'Turn on fast start-up'.

dazzawm 21:28 PM 05 Dec 12

All that seems to do is give me more time to go into the boot menu. Thats not the issue the issue is no matter what I try it won't boot from my Windows 7 disc.

lotvic 22:00 PM 05 Dec 12

Have you tried resetting Bios back to Default setting?

dazzawm 08:31 AM 06 Dec 12

Yes it does recognise the disc when I am in windows 8. The laptop is a Lenovo G580. Someone please help me get rid of this c* O/S, it is so frustrating!

Secret-Squirrel 08:52 AM 06 Dec 12

"... I have a feeling it has something to do with the UEFI..."

That's my suspicion too - it's the new "Secure Boot" mechanism that prevents the installation of other operating systems that's causing this issue. You should however be able to disable it the laptop's BIOS.

However, because you've got a laptop, ensure that you can source all the Windows 7 drivers for your laptop before you continue with this. Check the manufacturer's website for downloads available for your specific model. If can't get all the drivers then you'll risk ending up with a Windows 7 installation with only some of the hardware working and you'll be even more disappointed.

Batch 09:28 AM 06 Dec 12

I'd recommend making an image (to an external HDD) of your existing install before doing anything. That way you should, at least, be able to get back to where you currently are if the W7 path goes belly up.

dazzawm 09:44 AM 06 Dec 12

Ok using lotvics idea I reset bios defaults and I can now boot from DVD. However, it says I cant load O/S on because it is GPT or something but after looking into it GPT supports Windows 7.

dazzawm 09:49 AM 06 Dec 12

I have a big hard drive so I thought I would partition it and put 7 on alongside 8, but then I encounter the above problem.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites