How do I get rid of Norton?

Teknofobb 18:33 17 Apr 09

Hello I bought my laptop a few years ago and it came with Norton AntiVirus Software already installed. I think it has since gone out of date because it asks me to renew all the time, it still performs scans without being asked, and is generally a pain. I think it slows down my computer too.

I've heard it can be tricky to get rid of it though. Does anyone know how to do this?

I have Windows Service Pack 2
Windows Defender
SpyBot

And I'm thinking of downloading AVG and Zonealarm (sp?).

Would that be enough to protect my computer if I can get rid of Norton?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pine Man 18:36 17 Apr 09
  Teknofobb 18:38 17 Apr 09

Thanks PineMan

How do I protect my computer without Norton though? Would it be enough to download AVG and something like Zonealarm?

Teknofobb 18:47 17 Apr 09

Excuse my ignorance but how do I even know what Norton software I have? I have been looking at the properties of these programs and can't figure out what version they are etc. I have no idea how to get rid of this product from my computer!!

Pine Man 18:51 17 Apr 09

AVG and Zone Alarm will be fine.

Open your Norton AV and find somewhere called 'about' or similar which will show you what version you have.

Teknofobb 18:54 17 Apr 09

Okay I've got 2006 version, so have gone through the steps on the symantic link... However I have neither a product key or a Norton Accoumt, as this product came already installed on my computer. DO I need the product key to get rid of Norton? Thanks

brundle 18:58 17 Apr 09

No, you don't. Any advice you see regarding product keys is intended to remind people who just want to remove and reinstall their paid-for Norton to keep the product key safe or make a note of it. Though I recall that Norton products usually create a folder with the product key in it during uninstallation.

Teknofobb 22:56 17 Apr 09

Thanks! I think I have got rid of it... Have read on other forums that it is pretty difficult to get rid of, so will have a look around. Thanks for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now