How do i get rid of Mcafee anti virus?

jonski 22:49 01 Jul 06

Hi folks, i recently purchased a dell laptop and the mcafee software has expired...but i cannot get rid of it...i have tried uninstalling it through explorer but it will not let me..i`ve also gone into msconfig and tried to stop it starting up...but it just keeps on coming back...is there some special way of uninstalling this proggy.?

Any help would be appreciated.

SANTOS7 22:53 01 Jul 06

assuming you have closed the prog down,
click here
shouldn't be any more dificult than shown in the link...

jonski 22:57 01 Jul 06

no can do santos7...thats the first thing i tried...i tick all the boxes....clcik uninstall...it tells me some parts of the programe are missing..and cannot continue.

SANTOS7 23:02 01 Jul 06

do you have the option to reinstall the prog then uninstall
or try the uninstall function from the link
click here
more than usefull tool,good luck..

bluto1 23:10 01 Jul 06

I think I`d be inclined to ask Dell about this. They loaded the programme obviously as a freebee so they should help remove it.

rdave13 23:16 01 Jul 06

If it's the antivirus program then install again.

Reboot and uninstall the AV through add/remove.(control panel) Better to uninstall through the program's uninstaller than trying to uninstall manually (ie through windows explorer).

rdave13 23:24 01 Jul 06

Try this link to download th AV for free trial and install :- click here . Run it then close. Uninstall through its own uninstaller first. If it works then reboot.

jonski 23:31 01 Jul 06

To santos7, great little proggy that.,...thanx..it hasn`t worked but its got rid of all the old crap lying about..

to rdave13...i`ll try your idea now..thanx

jonski 23:32 01 Jul 06

the only prob with it rdave...is that the software that came with the pc was the full package ie-firewall, cookie cleaner, pop up blocker and the anti virus..so just loading the free trial won`t solve the other issues. but i`ll give it a try anyway....failing that i`ll contact dell.

rdave13 00:03 02 Jul 06

Googled for mcafee security suit uninstaller but only came up for the 2004 version. Seems that you tried to uninstall without using the programs uninstaller. Use windows explorer or search--make sure "all hidden files and folders" box is ticked in advanced search and type mcafee security. Delete all you find in the right pane. Some will show that they can't be deleted but ignore. When you have right clicked on all and deleted then close and reboot.

jonski 11:36 02 Jul 06

Hi Rdave, no m8 i tried originally uninstalling it with the mcafee uninstaller...it tells me files are missing or invalid...after running the proggy ccleaner it seems better and i`m not getting as many pop up boxes telling me mcafee needs updating...in fact i`m now only getting one message instead of around 7..so until i have the time to back everything up properly and flatten the C drive i`m just gonna have to put up with it..thanx everyone for your help and suggestions...and Santos...ccleaner...what a great little programme....highly recommended m8.
Thanks again all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…