How do I get folder options in Windows XP?

carl48 15:32 09 Jul 05

I would like to be able to see a list of folders in the lefthand pane while using Windows XP. I click on the 'Folders' icon on the toolbar to open the lefthand pane, but as soon as I close the folder it reverts to the single-pane view next time I open it. Does anyone know of a way I can keep the lefthand pane there every time I open a folder?

VoG II 15:37 09 Jul 05

With the left hand pane showing, Tools | Folder Options, View tab, click Apply to all Folders.

mattyc_92 15:38 09 Jul 05

It should "stick" to how you left it as....

Do you have other problems with appearence/options not sticking?

mattyc_92 15:39 09 Jul 05

oh... forget my post, I just tried it and the same happens....

carl48 15:39 09 Jul 05

Thanks VoG but I've tried that and it makes no difference. I have the same problem on my laptop computer as well as desktop.

woodchip 15:39 09 Jul 05

Windows key +E

rawprawn 15:39 09 Jul 05

Folder Options/View/Apply to all folders then close using File/ Close not the X at the top rhs

Eric10 15:48 09 Jul 05

The method outlined by VoG™ is correct and does work but only for windows opened after the change is made. Make the change and then close down the window as in rawprawn's reply and it should work ok. If you still have problems you could get into the habit of right-clicking the drive or folder and choosing 'Explore' instead of just double-clicking. This always opens in Folder view. Woodchip's method does the same thing from the keyboard.

carl48 15:53 09 Jul 05

I seem previously to have followed all the logical steps, as outlined by VoG and rawprawn, but still get the single pane. It's a pane in the you-know-what but I suppose I'll have to live with it.

woodchip 15:56 09 Jul 05

in windows explorer click view details

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…