How do I get FAT right?

bemuzed 20:13 08 Oct 07

I have got Windows Me and had a play around adding the Linux Ubuntu. As part of the Ubuntu allows me to add a partition to add Ubuntu. all worked fine. I then removed Ubuntu. I've doen this a few times and at the moment do not have Ubuntu installed. however, along the way I have 4 partitions whose quoted sizes are much larger than the physical size of my hard disk. Any ideas on how I can back to what is really there?

brundle 00:00 09 Oct 07

See if this will help; click here

scotty 09:21 09 Oct 07

I think that you have the necessary tools avialable. If you use your Ubuntu installation disc and use it as a "live" disc, you will have access to gparted (as recommended by brundle). gparted will let you interrogate the disc to identify and modify the partitions.

Are you certain that the partitions are reported as much larger than your disc size? I would have expected that you would have 3 partitions:

FAT for Windows ME;

ext3 for Ubuntu;

Linux swap file (~1GB)

You may see some apparent double counting if you have an extended partition. Partitions on the extended drive may be listed in a way which is making you think you should add the size to the others listed. Have a look at the top screen shot click here to see an example of what I am trying (badly) to explain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…