How do I get an Ethernet Driver?

alilouise 20:56 25 May 06

Trying to install a router so we can use a laptop wireless but using our house NTL broadband connection.

After lots of time wasting and stress, found out I can't use the router with a USB. This was how the house PC was connected to the net.

Bought a cable so we could link up to the router using ethernet instead and tried again... Now discover we dont have a driver for ethernet on our pc, only usb!!

Is this something I can download from somewhere? Want to avoid going to pc world AGAIN !!!!! Too stressed now. Anyone know what this will be called, is it just 'ethernet driver'. Where can I get one??

Hoping that once the ethernet driver is installed it will install the router and all will be ok.

if not anyone live near leighton buzzard fancy popping round to set this thing up before my partner and I kill each other??!!

ed-0 21:03 25 May 06

you have quite a few issues here.

lets see if we can get the ethernet sorted.

Are you using XP?

If so go to control panel > network connections and open it. Is there an icon for Local Area connection? If there is, is it set to enabled? If it's not, the right click it an enable it.

If it is not listed. Right click my computer > properties > hardware > device manager. Have you got any yellow exclamation marks in there? If you have, post back.

alilouise 21:06 25 May 06

Hi Ed

Yes using XP. Done what you said and yes there is an icon for local area connection. its saying its connected

BRYNIT 21:09 25 May 06

click here This is the NTL help sheet to change from USB to ethernet

ed-0 21:09 25 May 06

Then check device manager to see if they are any yellow exclamation marks.

ghm101 21:11 25 May 06

An ethernet connection is one made using a network cable

You got your router, it has an ethernet network socket(s) that you plug your cable into.

Your best hope here is that your pc has an identical type socket on the back of it to accept the other end of the cable.

If it does and you are on Windows XP it should establish the clonnection automatically.

You then probably have to configure the router and stuff according to it's setup instructions.

ed-0 21:11 25 May 06

Thats coming up witha 404;-(

Could you try it again, please.

ghm101 21:12 25 May 06

If you dont have this type of socket you will need to get a network card and install it. these are about £10.

It usually just involves just plugging the thing in to a spare slot and XP should sort it out

alilouise 21:15 25 May 06

Have the socket in the hard drive but ntl told me over the phone the driver isnt installed. he made me check the device manager and is wasnt there.
seriously anyone live near me want a few quid cash to sort this out. its way over our heads!!

i'll try that link and see what happens..

alilouise 21:18 25 May 06

that link didnt work but i went and found info of how to change. cant see anything about a driver yet though

ed-0 21:18 25 May 06

IF local area connection is enabled in control panel

IF there is no yellow exclamation marks in device manager.

Then your ethernet port is working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…