How Do I get into Dos from Windows

prince midas 10:51 01 Jan 07

I wish to run Chkdsk /f but how do I get into Dos from windows.

Bobnik 10:54 01 Jan 07

If you select start, programme file then accessories you will find an icon for the command prompt. Hope this helps

iscanut2 10:55 01 Jan 07

Click on Start, then select Run then type in cmd click OK. This will give you a DOS window to use and resize to taste.

prince midas 11:03 01 Jan 07

Sorry guys but neither of your methods work as you are still in windows.

iscanut2 11:13 01 Jan 07

If you mean to just run DOS without starting Windows, then I don't think you can unless you have a seperate disk partition with an old DOS version on it. I may be wrong and if so, I stand to be corrected.

Miké 11:19 01 Jan 07

"Sorry guys but neither of your methods work as you are still in windows."

There are certain programs that need to be run under DOS from outside of windows, but chkdsk /f will run from the cmd prompt.

What will happen is that chkdsk runs during the next boot sequence.

terryf 11:19 01 Jan 07

You would need something like a win98 startup floppy disk and boot from there

Stuartli 11:25 01 Jan 07

If you right click on your hard drive from My Computer>Explore>HDD.Tools tab and choose Properties, you can schedule a Chkdsk operation on a reboot.

Stuartli 11:26 01 Jan 07

Also see:

click here

Taff™ 11:28 01 Jan 07

I think Nuts may be right but try booting into Safe Mode and at the ptions choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. click here for description. This boots to the Command Window without booting Windows.

If that fails try a Win98 boot disk from click here

rawprawn 11:39 01 Jan 07

click here Scroll down and download "Open command window here"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…