How do I get Broadband?

Halmer 19:49 06 Dec 03

What is the best/most economical way?

I currently use a metered modem and BT.

I have checked with BT by putting my phone number on their site (BT.com) and it now tells me that I have access. When I did this last time I couldn't get Broadband. I'm fairly sure that we don't have cable where I live but could do with checking. How do I do this please?

If I don't have cable do I have any other options but BT? How much will it cost me etc..?

Thanks

InZaNE_mOdS 19:51 06 Dec 03

NTL is an option, but that means waiting a bit for your phoneline to change to theirs and keep number for £20 charge. then a setup of broadband 2 weeks after, free modem etc though, whereas BT you have to pay for the modem. And i think an additional cost of £20 for installation, not sure as i fitted mine a year ago. You could also try different ISPs that use the BT line.

jimv7 19:51 06 Dec 03
  Forum Editor 19:58 06 Dec 03

you'll obviously need to have your broadband service via the BT phone line - but you can choose any broadband service provider you like. All of them must buy the broadband access from BT wholesale anyway.

Take a look at what's on offer - and don't discount BT themselves, you can buy a broadband service directly from them. One thing to be aware of is the current advertising for 'broadband' at only £15.99 a month. Whilst it's true to say that the service is an ADSL one it's not as fast (at 128.0 kbps) as the 512.0 kbps service that we have all got used to calling broadband.

Halmer 19:58 06 Dec 03

with no additional/other charges about as cheap as it gets?

Halmer 20:01 06 Dec 03

Very useful ta.

Do I have to check that its a 512kbps service or will it be obvious?

Djohn 20:08 06 Dec 03

Halmer If you don't, or can't use cable for any reason, then you will use a BT phone line for Broadband, but this does not mean you have to use BT as your ISP.

Choose an ISP that you would like to use, contact them and they do all the work for you. Go to the ISDL page click here look to the left pane and click on "compare" from there you can select up to 6 at a time to compare speed/reliability/service.

Use one, [Any one] as a base to compare from, the keep selecting 5 others to check against.

zen is the one I'm now with and it's terrific, very quick installation, 3 to 5 days from contacting them and your on-line. Plusnet also receives excellent reviews and offers several different payment levels/choices.

From the guide, look in the forums to read what other users think of the ISP's they are with. Also take into account some will require a 12 month contract, others only 1 month.

Don't look for the cheapest, look for the best! Once you have Broadband a couple of pound difference in cost per month is not of importance, good service, fast and reliable connection is. j.

Halmer 21:32 06 Dec 03

again!

I suppose the three main disadvantages are: -

1. the cost
2. It's on all the time so there is a greater chance of a security leak etc.
3. I can't keep my existing e-mail address with ic24.net which I have had for ages and everyone knows?

Djohn 22:16 06 Dec 03

Halmer, yes, if on all the time the risk are higher, but until last week I ran for three years without a firewall and no problems at all. AVG anti-virus in place and running all the time though.

Powerless and Spikychris both have interesting threads running at the moment discussing the need, or not for a firewall.

If you change to a new ISP you will be able to have a new email address through "Outlook Express" for example and also you can import your existing address into the account, if you keep the account live.

This can be done from having a pay as you go account, [No monthly fee] and using dial-up to connect to your current provider once or twice each month to keep it alive. Then you should be able to access your email from them through your Broadband connection.

Cost is the major factor when deciding to go Broadband, I don't do much downloading, but on the odd occasions I do, it's worth it to watch the download bar shoot across the screen! The main reason for me is so that I can stay connected as long as I wish and the phone is still usable. j.

Dipso 23:27 06 Dec 03

Re your 3 disadvantages to Broadband post -

1. Cost, I have a Pay As You Go deal with click here With prices starting at £11.75 inc VAT they could be described as the cheapest I believe but in my opinion the service does not suffer and I do get a fast and reliable connection.

2. Yes, ADSL is classed as always on, but if use a USB modem like I do this means that the service is always available in that you never get an busy line like with dial up. Unless you leave your PC on all the time, when you come to shutdown, you disconnect the modem and reconnect when you next boot up, therefore the risks you mention are only when "on-line" and these can be prevented by a good Firewall, up to date AV and regular Windows Updates.

3. Re- your ic24 question. I have an old ic24 email address that I have had since I first went on line. I haven't dialled into ic24 for years now but can still use the address to send and recieve mail. I have just configured OE to check my POP ic24 account each day but I use my ISP's SMTP to send mail from my ic24 address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…