how do i get back into dos from blank screen?

computerbodger 22:46 05 Oct 03

I have placed a new hard drive into my computer as the existing hard drive was defective.I was advised to partition the new drive 80% on the C drive and 20% for the new extended D drive.I carried this out and then went on to try to load windows 98 onto the D drive as I thought that this was supposed to keep it seperate from other data on the active C drive.However the computer was then very slow loading up windows (not from the cd ),about 5 hrs and then just crashed.when i tried to boot it back up i couldnt get anything except a blank screen. ive tried pushing all the usual buttons to try to get into dos to try to reset and load windows onto the active drive C but cant get back into the computer.nothing happens when i put a floppy boot disk in I believe its trying to load from the extended D drive.Also when i checked the heat sink for the cpu it was very hot, i had just replaced this fan and heat sink with a new one.I,m stumped as how to get back into dos so that i can load windows on to c and boot up from there,any suggestions?

DieSse 22:51 05 Oct 03

Which Windows?

woodchip 22:53 05 Oct 03

Win98 should be on C:\ and you cannot seperate windows from programs, if you could they would not work

DieSse 22:56 05 Oct 03

Ah - sorry - I saw that woodchip spotted the Win98.

Go into the BIOS and set the system to boot from a floppy drive first. Then you can reformat your partitions again, and load Windows onto the C drive, which is the correct way to do it.

woodchip 22:58 05 Oct 03

No just gessed

computerbodger 15:18 06 Oct 03

diesse and woodchip
I cant get back into bios in order to change the priority of booting.ive tried disconnecting the lead from the hard drive and tinkering with what i believe is the cmos battery. I pulled the only battery i could see on the motherboard out for 10 minutes it was a small round circle with lithium battery written thereon.Will removing this battery for a longer period perhaps allow me to revert to previous defaults? Im still stuck on this one. I'm still stuck at a blank screen.

woodchip 15:29 06 Oct 03

The battery will not have any affect. If you have a blank screen then something else is amiss. can you get a anything on screen from a floppy disc

DieSse 15:32 06 Oct 03

Didn't realise that the state you are in now is that you always have a blank screen. Presume therefore that the system will not perform POST tests, and you never see anyhting on the screen at all.

If so - it's not a case of "getting into DOS" - you've got a serious system problem.

It could be almost anything faulty. As a start take out the battery for several hours - this at least menas the CMOS will be cleared - but probably won't affect your fault.

Failure to perform the POST tests (sucess is a single "bleep") - can be almost any part in the system. Commonly motherboard or RAM - but also can be other things.

Unhook all drives except floppy - take out all cards except Graphics - Remove and refit RAM, processor and Graphics cards ..... Does it power up and pass POST tests now?

computerbodger 16:07 07 Oct 03

Thanks for the suggestions to date,i have tried all your recomendations but still with no luck.I am taking pc to an 'expert' tonight and hope he will be able to fix it. I will update you with result.

gold 47 16:11 07 Oct 03

I think i am right in saying W98 does not support hard drives over 60gb without the patch.

woodchip 16:59 07 Oct 03

No you may need a bios flash for the motherboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…