How do I Format a DVD disk?

ernieernie 13:44 14 Jun 04

I bought a new DVD Rewritable disk, used it once, and then having deleted the contents in explorer I now find that it will not record again. On one of my attempts there came a suggestion to re-format the disk - but I cannot find out how to do it - maybe it's my age!
Is there any help out there?

pmjd 14:13 14 Jun 04

Is this a DVD-RAM disc? If so right click on your DVD drive in "My Computer" and choose format. That should reformat it.

If it is a DVD + or -RW disk then I think you have to use the DVD burning program to re format the disk.

Hope this helps,
Paul

TomJerry 14:24 14 Jun 04

Any version of Windows does not support dvd, even CD format.

For +-RW format: you need so called "packet writing" software to format CD/DVD. DirectCD with Roxio, InCD with Nero, FileCD for NTI, DLA for Sonic etc etc. All different and incompitable and not reliable. My advice is not to use them, just erase disk and burn it again the same way as R disk.

pmjd's advice for RAM format only work when the burner manufactur provides you with driver software.

Fruit Bat 14:31 14 Jun 04

CD and DVD re-write disks are not very reliable for storing data. Learnt my lesson having lost data several times when could not read disks.

Better and cheaper is to use normal CDR or DVD record able write once and forget.

However this is also not infallible so record onto a second disk from other manufacturer.

/\0/\

ernieernie 14:01 15 Jun 04

Thanks folks, for for your advice.

In the end I explored a bit and found that the disk was full - of what I don't know - so in Easy CD Creator I went to DISC/ERASE DISC and that solved the problem and I haven't had to throw away a good disk.

It's all part of life's rich pattern!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…