How do I fix up my aspire 5735

//adz_w/// 01:34 25 Aug 13

Hi guys ,

I have a Acer Aspire 5735 running vista and I'm looking To sell it . I do have a potential buyer but its not in the best of conditions.

First of the motherboard has a large burn mark due to heat problems so should I replace the motherboard?

Can it only hold 3gb of RAM or can it hold 4 ( ive done some research and there are reports of of only being able to hold 3 gb) and is it worth upgrading the hdd to a ssd because its fairly slow and sluggish

And I have been inside it getting rid of dust in the fans etc and have misplaced some of the screws is there anywhere I can get some the right size?

Also should I leave it as vista or should I install 7 32 bit?

onthelimit1 08:41 25 Aug 13

An Acer Aspire running Vista must be 4yrs old +. You might get 50 quid for it (if you're lucky) so spending £200 for a mobo doesn't make a lot of sense! I'd just bung it on ebay as it is and hope someone is prepared to buy it (don't hold your breath, though!).

morddwyd 09:04 25 Aug 13

Depends how much your potential buyer is prepared to pay.

As on the limit says, it's not worth much, so what you spend must reflect what you are hoping to get.

Ian in Northampton 09:07 25 Aug 13

As onthelimit1 says: you'll struggle to get anything like your money back on the changes/upgrades you're suggesting. A relatively old laptop is still a relatively old laptop, even wit a new mobo, SSD and operating system. Stick it on eBay clearly marked "For spares and repairs - no returns".

//adz_w/// 20:18 25 Aug 13

The pc is fully functional but has a burn mark on the motherboard and is quite slow. I could look for a second hand mobo on eBay or Ebuyer ? Add ram and a ssd and clean it up abit or just strip not to the bare bones and sell it that way?

The guy said he only wants to usenit for ms word and excel but Ill need screws for it anyway to out it back together

Woolwell 20:42 25 Aug 13

Please confirm that this is a laptop. I agree with the others that what you are trying to do is not cost effective as you will not get your money back on the extras that you will have bought and if it is a laptop may prove to be difficult. Flog it for spares.

//adz_w/// 22:15 25 Aug 13

Yes it's a laptop. it's about 5 years old I think. I should do really but I doubt anyone would need parts? And where's the best place to sell them

Woolwell 22:35 25 Aug 13

See Ian in Northampton's post.

Ian in Northampton 09:55 26 Aug 13

Yep - eBay's your friend. It never ceases to amaze me how many 'spares and repairs' laptops there are on eBay, and how many bidders there are for them - and the prices they fetch.

bumpkin 18:16 26 Aug 13

Who wants to buy a 5yr old Aspire with a burnt motherboard. If your potential buyer wants to give you £50 for it then snatch his hand off, more fool him.

rdave13 18:44 26 Aug 13

If you get fifty smackers for it is it worth it? You could always restore to factory settings, update it and use it as a backup machine. Use a flash drive to transfer your docs, photos etc to it and always handy to have another PC available to get on line if something goes belly up with the main one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac