How do I fit a second hard drive?

sav 22:09 24 Mar 03

I want to fit an additional hard drive. Can anyone suggest where I might find instructions/tips on how to do it?

What do I have to consider in choosing a second drive?

I currently have a QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS (30.82 GB)Hard drive.

Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks

TECHNODIMWIT 22:18 24 Mar 03

as long as you set the jumpers to slave, no problems.

go to bios/cmos and detect HDD, format and your off and running.

windows should sort everythig out.

MAJ 22:19 24 Mar 03

For instructions and tips, sav, you've come to the correct place. What do you want to use your new hard drive for? That will dictate which type of drive you should consider.

Rtus 22:21 24 Mar 03

click here
use the above as a visual a guide .But note all your present drive connections and jumper settings, and be aware sharing Ide cables can cause performance problems ,Depending on how you set them up. It may be advisable to post what drives are fitted and how they are configured on your Ide cables before you attempt changes..

sav 22:48 24 Mar 03

Thanks for the tip.

Basically my current drive is filling up, so I thought I might look into getting a larger one. I don't have a specific use in mind, although I am playing around with graphics more and producing larger files as a result. I've also been considering loading Linux as well as my current OS.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
I'm not sure I understand IDE configurations etc. but will repost when I'm nearer to fitting the drive.

MAJ 23:00 24 Mar 03

Okay sav, if you've nearly filled a 30 gig, you must have a load of stuff on there you could archive to removable media, That would give you some space on your present drive. For graphics you'll want a fairly fast drive 7200 rpm spin speed. You'll want to partition it to install Linux. I would suggest at least an 80 gig 7200 rpm drive. You will have to see if your BIOS will recognise that size of drive though, or if it doesn't ensure that you can obtain a BIOS update or at least a drive overlay utility from the drive maufacturer's site.

Personal opinion comming up:

Don't buy an IBM drive or you'll be back in a year or so, probably just after the warranty runs out, saying "My hard drive is packing in". Go for a Maxtor, Western Digital or Seagate drive.

powerless 23:15 24 Mar 03

When you get the new drive set it up as Master and use the old drive as a slave. Inside the PC there are IDE connections. You can put your drives onto the same cable so one will be master and the other will be slave. They share the same cable but they have to setup in a certain way so the Windows can use both drives. Also the BIOS needs to know whats present.

You could just add you new drive and use that as a slave but that would be a waste a space.

I would make the new drive as Master, reinstall your operating system, programs etc onto this drive.

You can then use your old drive as a big storage area.

So with this setup you have a your operating system and programs etc on the Master using all the new space. You can then use the old slave drive as one big storage place.

Linux, You could install Linux onto the new drive or the old drive.

If you still want all that extra storage that the old drive gives you. Install Windows and Linux on the new big drive.

Windows requires 1 partition and Linux requires 3 partitons...You can get away with using 1 (or i think it is 2) partitions with linux.

So on the new big drive have windows installed first, then install linux.

Now you have two operating system on the same drive. To go into Linux you can use a boot loader. Simply when you start your computer you get the option to boot into either windows or linux...

You can get rid of this boot loader and use a boot disc. So when your computer starts you will boot into windows. To boot into Linux you insert the floppy boot disc and then you go into Linux.

You could use one drive per operating system. So use the new master for windows and use the other drive for Linux.

For this i would suggest a boot disc as you can mess up the windows boot files by using the linux boot loader. In saying that its simple to fix.

So now you have your new master drive for windows and the old slave drive for linux.

To boot into windows just start and let computer do the rest. To boot into Linux use a boot disc.

You can also do this another way (this is the way i have done it) and not use a boot loader or a boot disc. You change the boot device in the BIOS. So for example i'm in Windows typing this to you my first boot device (and only) is the Primary Master. Turn the computer on i go straight into Windows.

If i change the boot device to Primary Slave, i boot into linux. This is without a boot loader/disc.

Within Windows (in my case XP) XP can see the 3 partitons, it knows that there are partitons on the slave drive. But it cannot idenify them., as Linux partitons.

Before you attempt any of this even installing a new drive make all your backups.

sav 22:25 26 Mar 03

Thanks MAJ and Powerless you've given me a few more things to consider/research.

1. As regards to Master and Slave drives, does drive designation dictate the way in which it can be used? For example does the OS have to reside on a particular drive?

2. If it's not too complicated to explain, what is the difference between Master/Slave/Primary/ Secondary drives? Are they different?

3. Am I right in thinking that I could initially reinstall my existing operating system on the new drive whilst keeping my current installations on the old drive?
I'm thinking that I could reformat the old drive at a later date, once I know everything runs OK, and once I've reorganised/archived my data.

4. What are your views on partitioning software like PartitionMagic, would it be of any use?

5. You suggest making backups before attempting to add a hard drive. By backups do you mean making an image of the hard drive? (I'll be honest I don't know if I fully understand what an image is!!)

Sorry to meet your answers with even more questions!

powerless 22:44 26 Mar 03

1) No. I have run an OS from the slave.

2) Primary Master and Slave. Well the Master tends to be the first drive and the slave the second drive. For Example on my computer i have a 120GB drive as the master and a 3GB as the slave. Now on the Secondary master and slave i have a CD-RW drive and a DVD ROM rom. click here for more info.

3) If you reinstall your OS on the new drive its best to reinstall everything as well on that drive. I have ran some applications from another drive with no trouble. But as seen as your going to wipe the old drive, just reinstall everything on the new drive.

4) Never used Partitioning sofware i used the XP setup or FDSIK and the Linux partitioner. So it can be done without software like PM. If you know how to partiton then do not go for PM.

I've managed to install 3 OS's on my system just using FDSIK, XP Setup and Linux - so it can be done without paying for extra software.

5) Backups of your important data like family photos etc anything you consider valuable to you.

An image is like a clone of your hard drive. If you mess anything up. You just copy the image back to the hard drive.

sav 23:22 09 Apr 03

Sorry I didn't reply to your last posting. Thanks for the info and links, very useful. I've got a bit more reading to do before I take the plunge.

I've just looked at my BIOS and I'm confused as to what it is telling me/how the hardware is set up:

Award BIOS Setup Utility

Primary Master [Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-11]
Type [Auto]
PIO Mode [4]
Ultra DMA Mode [2]

Primary Slave [None]

Secondary Master [CD-W58E]
Type [Auto]
PIO Mode [4]
Ultra DMA Mode [Disabled]

Secondary Slave [None]

Where is my Hard Drive?

pinka 10:24 10 Apr 03

apparently if youre running 2 hard drives it is best to connect them both up as masters and run your cd/dvd drives as slaves to them your system will run quicker , especially if your 2 hard drives are different speeds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…