How do I find which card Im using?

Hetti 11:40 13 Jul 06

I have two Desktop PC using a D-LINK router, the second PC will often loose the connection to the internet I get an exclamation triangle in the tray and a message saying "Limited or no conectivity" and I have to continually reboot the PC sometimes six times, then it will find a connection. I have spoken to D-LINK and they say it is the card that is installed on the problem PC, and I need to update the driver to solve this prob, but the is trouble I have no idea what make the card is to be able to find a updated driver (It is not a D-link card). I think it is a Inexq from the previous router I had, but as someone did the network for me Im not sure.

brundle 11:48 13 Jul 06
  silverous 11:50 13 Jul 06

You don't say which operating system you are using but it should be possible to get a list of the hardware in the PC (e.g. in XP go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Network Adaptors) and see what the make/model is.

You may also find Windows Update (click here) will offer you updates for the device if you go via the custom option then choose the option on the left that says "Hardware, Optional".

recap 11:52 13 Jul 06

Open control Panel/Network Connections/Right click Local Area Connection/Properties. On the General Tab click Configure, from here you can update the driver from the driver tab.

Hetti 12:12 13 Jul 06

Thanks for the quick reply's all
I will try the suggestions later, as Im having company soon.

Cheers

Hetti 16:36 13 Jul 06

Thanks guys

I found that my card is Ralink 802.11g PCI wireless network adaptor,
I right clicked on it in "Devices" and there was an option there to Update driver" which I did but it said there is no better driver than the one Im using, so That is not the cause of my problems.

I will try to have to find another reason for the problem!!

Thanks again

silverous 16:39 13 Jul 06

It looks like Ralink make chipsets for other companies so it might be another company's card.

It might be easier just to buy another PCI wireless card or even a USB wireless card from a mainstream manufacturer - perhaps the same as the make of your router (D-LINK).

The Ralink might not be very good in terms of range for example - is the router far from the PC?

Hetti 18:28 14 Jul 06

Ok all thanks

siverous I will think about your suggestion, but as I have just paid to have the network set up Im reluctant to spend any more money, would it be an easy thing to do it myself? (real novice)

Ive not had any problems today,but it probably be troulbe tomorrow :>(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5