How do I find slow shutdown program?

cdb 00:05 06 May 05

I've searched about slow shutdowns on WInXP and changed the registry values and the auto shutdown bit, but it's made no difference.
Is there anyway I can find out which program (assuming it one) is slowing my shutdown and log off. It can take upto 20mins before the whole process finishes, other times it shutsdown normally.

woodchip 00:12 06 May 05

First have you been in MSCONFIG to remove all programs you do not need to run in background

dagwoood 10:27 06 May 05

cdb, have a look in event viewer(control panel > performance and maintenance > administrative tools > event viewer > Application)and see if there are any yellow warning triangles with the event ID 1517 or 1524.

If there are either of the above warnings shown in event viewer, you could download and try this from Microsoft click here

It's a service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.

Sorry this doesn't answer your original query, but it may be the cure.

HTH, dagwoood.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:19 06 May 05

Your Antivirus pogram may be set to scan removable drives on shutdown.

Technotiger 14:29 06 May 05

Hi,

click here

Cheers.

cdb 17:46 06 May 05

CHeers for the replys:
Woodchip, I've checked msconfig and have unchecked 2 more things.
Dagwoood, I've downloaded and installed that, it seems to be on the right lines.
Fruitbat, I couldn't find it set to this, but being an intermittent problem I don't think it will be this.
Technotiger, I've checked that one before, I have all the ms patches but don't seem to have gpedit and services on my pc.
Cheers so far guys.

woodchip 20:26 06 May 05
  cdb 18:24 07 May 05

Cheers guys, all links acted on. I'll let you know if it appears to be cured in a couple of days.

Mimi1 19:51 07 May 05

I had a shutdown problem using Windows 98SE ... it just hanged and wouldn't shut down at all. I cured this by re-installing the original disk.

cdb 18:29 11 May 05

Well, it's been a couple of days (or more :S) I'm not sure it's fully cured as sometimes it shuts down ok but occaisionally it still takes about 10mins or so.

woodchip 18:32 11 May 05

That's a long time, there as got to be something that's the cause. My XP desktop is slow to shut down at the side of my Win98se comp but it's not that slow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…