how do I find my IP address on my network computer

knobler 13:18 19 Feb 04

I have just set up a wireless network and need to find out the IP address of each computer (mac address I think they call it!!!!)

One computer runs on ME and the other on XP

I need the different addresses so that I can configure the firewalls on each computer so that there are conflicts etc.....

Thanks in advance.

hugh-265156 13:29 19 Feb 04

click start/run then type ipconfig /all

Lozzy 13:32 19 Feb 04

If the box flashes on and off very quickly type CMD in the run box then ok then type what huggyg71 has said.

hugh-265156 13:45 19 Feb 04

oops

yes cmd then ipconfig /all

Eric10 16:39 19 Feb 04

I've never used Win ME but if it's the same as Win98 then I don't know if ipconfig works with it. If this is the case then go to Start, Run, and type winipcfg. You don't need to open the command prompt for this one as it's Windows based. However, winipcfg won't work on your XP machine.

Eric10 16:43 19 Feb 04

By the way. Ip address and Mac address are two different things. The Mac address is the physical address of the network card.

Ivor_Monkey 17:21 19 Feb 04

AS Eric10 says winipcfg on win98 will show IP and mac address once adaptor is chosen form list. Note the mac address coz you may need to enter it on your router web utility when cloning mac addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…