How do i enable TCP/IP on XP prof. error attached.

bennett418 20:13 21 Sep 07

Error is

[img]click here[/img]

How do I enable this?

One of my PC's (this one on now) works fine on new broadband, other pc, shows error.

Any advice/help would be great.
Thanks

mgmcc 21:05 21 Sep 07

Open the Network Connections folder ("Control Panel > Network Connections"), right click the network adapter concerned, which will be either the "Local Area Connection" or the "Wireless Network Connection", and select Properties. Ensure that the box is ticked for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)".

bennett418 21:10 21 Sep 07

Just double checked, it is ticked.

Ashrich 23:10 21 Sep 07

You can always try this , it might just do the trick ...Open a command prompt ( start/run type " CMD " in the box without the quote marks ) at the prompt type . netsh int ip reset reset.log and then press enter , making sure you get the spacing correct between the words .

Ashley

brundle 00:33 22 Sep 07

Winsock fix click here

bennett418 11:48 22 Sep 07

thanks for replies, tried the

netsh int ip reset.log

but it came up with

'The following command was noty found: int ip reset.log.

Also tried the Winsock fix but still no joy.

mgmcc 11:55 22 Sep 07

>>> tried the
>>> netsh int ip reset.log

That wasn't the command posted in the earlier message. It is:

NETSH INT IP RESET RESET.LOG

There is the "Reset" command followed by the name of the log file to create, "Reset.log", which is required (I actually use Resetlog.txt but it makes no difference).

If all else fails, try reinstalling TCP/IP:

To reinstall TCP/IP in Windows XP, right click the network connection and select Properties. Click the "Install" button, select Protocol and click the "Add" button. In the next box, click the "Have Disk" button and, in the line "Copy manufacturer's files from:", type C:\Windows\inf and click OK. In the next box, click Microsoft in the left pane, then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the right pane and click "OK". Close all open windows and reboot the PC.

bennett418 12:04 22 Sep 07

bit of progress i think.........

when i try to repair the Local connection the message is now

'windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed.

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.'

is it worth me reinstalling PC???

mgmcc 12:07 22 Sep 07

I would suggest you follow the details I posted to reinstall TCP/IP and only if that gets you no further forward should you consider reinstalling Windows (which really is a final resort!)

bennett418 12:08 22 Sep 07

Did reinstall but still no luck, really odd. I dont no what else to try?!

mgmcc 18:23 22 Sep 07

In the problem PC, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here. As that PC cannot get online, you'll actually have to paste the details into a text file, transfer it to the working PC and paste the details from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…