How do I enable laptop wireless

tuderman 14:26 PM 24 Nov 12

I have updated the OS on my daughters old HP omnibook xe4100 laptop. To update the drivers via the internet I used Netgear WG111 USB.

I am not sure how to activate the laptops own wireless facility (if it has such a facility).

I checked the device manager. It indicated VIA COMPATIBLE FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER. I would appreciate members advice. Thank you

onthelimit1 19:06 PM 24 Nov 12

Fast Ethernet is not wireless, it's for an ethernet lead. Are there any other devices shown in Network Adaptors?

onthelimit1 19:10 PM 24 Nov 12

Googleing that model seems to show it should have wireless. Try running the free Slimdrivers. You can ignore most of the updates, but look to see if a wireless one is offered.

onthelimit1 19:11 PM 24 Nov 12

If it has wireless and the driver is installed, it is switched on by either a small slide switch somewhere, or by pressing Fn and one of the function keys (should have an antenna symbol on it).

onthelimit1 19:13 PM 24 Nov 12

Look at the number 1 solution here

tuderman 21:30 PM 24 Nov 12

Thank you for your input. Tomorrow, I shall try the suggestions that you mention and report back.

tuderman 21:33 PM 24 Nov 12

onthelimit1. Sorry, I forgot to mention, there are no other devices listed re adaptors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know