how do i download icons?

Jule 13:47 07 Feb 08

i would like to change some of the icons on my desktop. this was simple on my old computer using xp but i can't seem to do it with vista. i've looked on their help pages but i can't find anything about it. i did download some icons but i can't set them to the program on the desktop, as they are not saved as icons but as pictures. can anybody help?

lisa02 13:49 07 Feb 08

Don't they need to be a specific size and have a .ico extension?

You can change icons, by right clicking the item and picking properties. Then click change Icon.

Jule 14:05 07 Feb 08

i have right clicked & tried to change icon but no icons appear other than the original one, and i can't find any others. i've tried 'browse' but i can't find any other icons - i don't know where they are. the one's i've downloaded don't appear?

lisa02 14:08 07 Feb 08

C:\Users\Account name\Downloads ?

Change account name to whatever yours is.

Jule 14:22 07 Feb 08

i seem to remember that with xp when i clicked on 'browse' , all the available icons just appeard. that doesn't happen in vista, but surely there are some somewhere? how can i get the downloaded ones to appear in 'browse'?

lisa02 14:34 07 Feb 08

how can i get the downloaded ones to appear in 'browse'?

Navigate to the file path I have given you above. Failing that try searching your computer for files ending in .ico

Jule 14:46 07 Feb 08

i tried a search for .ico as you suggested & the only files that came up were ones i sent to the recycle bin because when i tried to open them, they came up unable to open this file & i don't know how to change the file that opens them. i don't know if i'm missing something but are there no icons already on my computer? (its a brand new pc)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…