How Do I "DOWNGRADE" FromXP To 2000

Scott709 21:01 04 Apr 03

hi, im currently running microsoft xp, i have windows 2000 and want to install windows 2000 without formatting, i would like to keep my existing files, when i go to install windows 2000 it ssays "This cd-rom is from an older version of windows than you are presently using. setup functuality from this disk will be disabled" i cant find any other way, any help would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards
Scott MacDonald

pj123 21:24 04 Apr 03

I wouldn't have thought it was possibe to "downgrade" but what you could try is a dual boot system. try Ranish from click here which is a free partitioning programme. you can partition your hard disk into 2 (or more) partitions without losing any data and then install w2k on to the other partition. As I don't have XP someone will put me right if this is not feasible.

Scott709 21:30 04 Apr 03

i do not want to partition as it will keep all the xp OS files, i would just like to install win 2000 over xp but it wont allow me

Worf100 21:30 04 Apr 03

Set up a separate partition on your hard drive (by for example using Partition magic) or add another drive to hold Windows 2000 and boot from this when you need it !
Good luck

Scott709 21:36 04 Apr 03

i jus wanna have it like a normal 2000 pc

zanwalk 22:01 04 Apr 03

If you really can't just back up the files you want to keep, the only solution I can think of is to partition your drive temporarily, and create a partition to copy your current XP partition to, then delete your original XP, install W2K, and then copy files that you need across. All this is possible with Partition Magic. Afterwards, you can then delete the copied XP partition and have access to your whole Hard Drive again.

It is a bit of a long winded process, and personally I would investigate the option of backing up all your needed files first, and then simply formatting the drive and installing W2K. Microsoft obviously don't wish you to downgrade your OS, or they would make it easily possible!

Scott709 22:04 04 Apr 03

it is v.complicated and i dont understand this so i will look into backing it up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…