How do I do this?

Red Devil 13:55 21 Jun 05

I am currently designing a couple of websites. In one click here, I want to have the borders for the tables I am using throughout the site to be transparent.

When I use IE to look at the sites design, they are but when I look at the site in Opera, Firefox and Netscape, the table borders are still visible.

How do I go about making them transparent in the 3 browsers mentioned as well as IE?

Cheers.

chesterfield 22:05 03 Jul 05

By giving the tables no border at all surely they will not be visible?

gplatt2000 15:49 06 Jul 05

Red Devil - Hi, I think I understand your problem, I'm also interested in why this happens as I don;t like the way they appear in Firefox for one of my sites.

Just to add what I think the problem is - in IE the border is thin and black, and crisp. Whereas in Firefox it seems to have a kind of 'embossed' effect to it, which I personally hate.

I too would like to know how to stop this!

(sorry if this isn;t actually the problem you mean at all Red Devil!)

gplatt2000 15:52 06 Jul 05

(but if you do mean NO borders whatsoever - just change the html <table ..... border="...px"> tag to <table..... border="0">

gplatt2000 15:53 06 Jul 05

One more thing, just to give you an example of what I mean with my site:

click here

If you open it in IE, there is a 2px, solid black border round the main white space of the page. But in Firefox, this border is grey and ;embossed' -not very nice.

phil 23:37 06 Jul 05

With FF you have to do your tables as a style.

This in the head tags:
#table { background-color: #FFFFFF; width: 100%; height: 100%; border-left: 10px solid #C60000; border-right: 10px solid #C60000; border-top: 10px solid #C60000; border-bottom: 10px solid #C60000; }

and this where the table is to appear:
<div id="table">
<TABLE>
<TR>
<TD>
FF is a pain in the backside if you ask me.

Red Devil 23:59 06 Jul 05

The border is the problem. I set it to a figure and then *tried* to make it the same colour as the background but this obviously hasn't worked.

It was to ensure a decent gap between images and text and I knew no other way to do it but think I know of a way to do it now that doesn't involve having the border in my table >0.

Cheers for the replies one and all.

gplatt2000 16:42 07 Jul 05

Glad you've got it sorted, is that using cellpadding="..." / cellspacing ?

And thank you phil, I'll get that sorted out now. I'm guessing the tables will be displayed the same in IE using the style method?

Cheers

Red Devil 20:11 07 Jul 05

Yep, that's the way I'm going to sort it.

So simple when you know how!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…