How do I disable running programs in XP?

TommyRed 21:34 20 May 03

The OS on my PC is 98SE, but I'm trying to install a programme for a friend who barely knows how to switch it on. On my PC I close programs using ctrl, alt and del when I'm installing something but it doesn't seem to work on her XP machine, any ideas?
Thanks TR

VoG™ 21:36 20 May 03

CTRL+ALT+DELETE works in XP.

MartinT-B 21:37 20 May 03

It works, just look different.

DON'T Close any of the programs apart from Anti-virus, which you can close from the systray.

There are lots (about 6-7) programs that YOU MUST NOT CLOSE in XP.

I have never bothered to close any with XP PRO

TommyRed 22:03 20 May 03

The installation stops in pretty much the same place with the message "Error 1308. Source file not found: Q:\PFiles\MSOffice\Office\EXCEL.EXE(this file always changes when I click retry or ignore). Due to the installation stopping at about the same place I assumed it was a program running and writing to the PC.
TR

Audeal 23:25 20 May 03

Enditall will close all background running programs. click here
Maby this will help you out.

Granger 09:24 21 May 03

Type msconfig in the Run box, select the Selective Startup, and uncheck the Load Startup Items. If this is still no good, you can effectively run in Safe Mode by going back to msconfig and selecting Diagnostic Startup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…