How do I disable local mailserver in Win XP Pro?

Guitareth 09:40 23 Oct 03

I have received an e-mail from BT (my ISP)saying "It has come to my attention through routine security checks that your BT Internet account can be used as an Open Email Relay." I was totally baffled about how this could be so
searched the web and found advice where it says you can if your PC is acting as a mailserver by running (from a command prompt): telnet localhost 25

I did this and to my surprise/horror it comes back: "220 Microsoft ESMTP Mail Service, Version 6.0.2600.1106 ready at Wed 22 Oct 2003...." I take it this confirms I do indeed have a mailserver running, but I cant see how to gain access to stop it running, or disable it.

I am running Windows XP Professional, and (in case there's simpler fix via my firewall) am also running Norton Internet Security as my Firewall. Is the mailserver part of IIS? If so, I do need IIS to be active purely for local testing of websites we design, but I do not need to have the local mailserver running on my PC.

Can someone please tell me how I can stop, or completely disable, this mailserver, whilst ensuring IIS still works OK?

Thanks in advance
Gareth

Jester2K II 09:45 23 Oct 03

Check you don't have one of the many viruses that can turn your PC into a Mail server for spam also.

Guitareth 10:51 23 Oct 03

Thanks for the advice Jester. I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Firewall permanently on and up-to-date and I've also run scans to check but my PCs are clean. I'd really just like to know how I can disable the PCs' mailserver as that will give me confidence that it cant be abused in this way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…