How do i delete a user account

emm1 10:35 08 Oct 03

I have added a user account on my computer which operates on windows 98. I want to delete it but can only manage to take the password off. Every time I highlight it, right click and delete, it says that i am unable to delete this user and i am currently logged on! Please help

Andsome 11:02 08 Oct 03

More details are needed. If you are using Outlook Express and want to remove an account heres how. Start/Outlook Express/Tools/Accounts/. Then highlight the account which you do not want and click on 'remove', which is top right. Hope that this helps.

Hyperangelic 11:16 08 Oct 03

In order to delete your user account, you will need to do it from an administrator account or one with permissions to create / delete accounts. You may also not be able to delete the account if you are logged into it.

MAJ 11:42 08 Oct 03

If I remember correctly, you have to delete the password file (.pwl) for the account you want to delete, it's probably in C:\Windows. It'll be something like <account name>.pwl, do a search of your hard drive from Start > Search > Files and Folders and search for *.pwl files. Then on reboot when you get the option to log-on, click on the account you want to delete then click Cancel, then go to Control Panel > Users and delete the account.

emm1 12:21 08 Oct 03

Thanks MAJ, I have managed to delete the user account BUT when i start the computer up it now comes up with an empty box titled ENTER PASSWORD. And asks me to select user name and enter password, even though there are no users set up. Any help to get rid of this message box would be appreciated.

MichelleC 12:28 08 Oct 03

Stop password Login Prompt:

control panel/network/windows log on/ click ok and reboot.

MAJ 14:35 08 Oct 03

MichelleC's solution will sometimes work, emm1, but if it doesn't Start-up as normal and when that little box appears, click Cancel and Windows will load normally. Then go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Passwords and tick the little button which says "All users use the same preferences", click OK and you should be asked to re-boot, do so. When you have re-booted the Log-on box will appear again, this time enter your name but don't enter a password leave it blank, don't even click on the password field, then click OK (NOT Cancel)and Windows should load. Now go to Start > Shutdown and re-boot again. This time the Log-on box shouldn't appear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…