How do I delete system restore points?

terryr48 13:48 08 Oct 04

How do I delete all but the most recent system restore points? (Win XP home) Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 13:56 08 Oct 04

I don't know that you can delete some - either all or nothing is the case.

What you need to do is turn off system restore and on again and then make a new restore point. That will remove all the others.

click here

click here

click here

iscanut2 14:17 08 Oct 04

Go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup. Click on Disk Cleanup. Select the drive you require, usually C. Click OK. You should then see More Options, click on this. Should then see System Restore and to the right of this Clean Up.Take it from here

Jackcoms 14:50 08 Oct 04

As an alternative try this:

Click Start; right click on My Computer; left click on Properties. Select the System Restore tab. Tick Turn off System Restore; click Apply and OK.

System Restore is now turned off and ALL RESTORE POINTS WILL BE DELETED.

Having turned off System Restore undertake a full AV and malware scan. By running scans with System Restore turned off you should find any nasties which may have infected your PC and been 'caught' in memory between restore points.

Don't forget to turn System Restore back on, by reversing the above procedure, when the scans are finished.

Carafaraday 15:01 08 Oct 04

There are three ways you can delete system restore points I think.

1. delete them all as Diodoros Siculus says

2. delete all but the most recent as Nuts suggests

3. reduce the amount of space that the restore points take up, thus reducing the number of restore points.... start, programmes, accessorites, system tools, restore points, settings, settings should take you to a slider which you can move up or down to increas/decrease the space used by system restore points

terryr48 15:10 08 Oct 04

Thanks everybody

no-name 15:11 08 Oct 04

"You cannot selectively delete specific
restore points" from click here

Carafaraday, Nuts suggestion only leads to the slider option - is the space allocation a question of trial and error?

Carafaraday 15:21 08 Oct 04

'To delete all restore points except the latest one, use the Disk Cleanup utility. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Disk Cleanup. Click on the more options tab and then select Clean up in the System Restore dialogue' This is from Microsoft's FAQs - I thought that was what Nuts was referring to.

no-name 15:40 08 Oct 04

Thanks Carafaraday.

terryr48 sorry to hijack your thread but in case you're interested the answer to my space query can be found (for ME, but I should think that XP follows the same formula) at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…