How do i delete a folder that has access denied

FatboySlim71 10:06 30 Apr 06

I am wanting to delete a folder that is is empty and no longer used as the rest of the program has been uninstalled, but when I try to delete it, I get a window appearing showing "CANNOT DELETE ACCESS IS DENIED MAKE SURE THE DISC IS NOT FULL OR WRITE PROTECTED AND THAT THE FILE IS NOT CURRENTLY IN USE" I have right clicked on the folder and then selected properties, the attributes for the folder show read only, but when I un check this and click on apply then on ok, I can still not delete, could anyone be of help. I have XP Professional service pack 2. Thanks

fleamailman 10:07 30 Apr 06

Unlocker, it is a good program

click here

FatboySlim71 10:10 30 Apr 06

Thanks, Ill download it and see if it solves the problem and Ill post back to let others know if it worked. Thanks for the help.

skidzy 10:10 30 Apr 06

Have you tried this click here or this click here these may help if its a redundant file left over from uninstalling something previous.

This is a handy program to have for a general tidy up also click here (Registry Optimiser Version) its a free unlimited trial version,dont be fooled by thinking its just a registry program... its not.

It has some handy apps.

FatboySlim71 10:12 30 Apr 06

Thanks skidzy, I already have the programs you have mentioned, but thanks anyway for your help.

skidzy 10:19 30 Apr 06

Have you tried manually deleting the file from the registry ?

Also do a search,including hidden files stating the original folder name and deleting anything that is related to the folder.....if this will let you.

Mikè 10:27 30 Apr 06

1. Run cmd

2. Go to the folder parent dir of the folder you wish to delete

3. Type dir /x (this will display the short name of the folder)

4. Type rd <short name of the folder>

Done (hopefully).

gudda96 11:01 30 Apr 06

I had similar probl;em and found that the only answer was the UNlock program download.

FatboySlim71 11:10 30 Apr 06

I have just downloaded the Unlock program, when I choose the unlock option from the menu that appears when I right click on the folder that I want to delete, and select delete as the action that I want to do, It says could not delete, do you want to delete after the next re boot (Or words to that affect) but after a re boot the folder is still there.

FatboySlim71 11:15 30 Apr 06

Mikè, Could you tell me, after I have clicked on start run and entered cmd in the run window, how do I Go to the folder parent dir of the folder that I wish to delete, because when I have clicked on start run and entered cmd in the run window, this is what is shown C:\Documents and settings\My name appears here>

Mikè 12:47 30 Apr 06

Sorry been out for a while......

Ok in this example we are going to delete an empty folder in C:\Program Files called unwanted.

At C:\Documents and settings\Your name> type "cd C:\Program Files" and enter, should now say "C:\Program Files>_

Then enter "dir /x" (note space between r and/) this should give you a list of all folders.

In the fourth column you will find the short name of the folder that you want to delete, something like "unwanted~1"

now enter "rd unwanted~1" should now be deleted.

Obviously do not enter the qoutes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…