How do I Delete data...

Sethhaniel 15:41 25 Jul 04

On USB Memory stick (without reformat)
I have deleted all files -and using a file recovery software package get a list of every file ever been there -
have used free space scrub etc -and even copying two very large files to stich to overwrite data on their and deleted - but these files are just put onto the list for recovery - I know the files are all probably beyond recovery now - but their tell-tale names can still ve recovered
is there a way without reformat?

Diemmess 16:07 25 Jul 04

Even normal Format will leave filenames there, but unreadable by normal processes. Format used simply to put a ? instead of the first character of the filename, which took it out of the way for normal access.

If you are worried then format and forget them, just carry on using the gizmo and the traces will eventually be overwritten.

bremner 16:14 25 Jul 04

When you delete a file the o/s replaces the first character of the file name with the greek sigma character (E5 hex). When reading the Root Directory the o/s sees a live file as one that starts with a DOS legal character which E5 hex is not.

When you format a floppy with a u switch it overwrites the system area (the MBR or VBR, Root Directory and FAT with 00 hex and the data area with F6 hex.

When you format a hard drive or a floppy without the u switch only the system area is overwritten with 00hex the data remains untouched.

woodchip 16:32 25 Jul 04

What's up have you got your Bank account on it????? If not is it that important?

Sethhaniel 08:22 26 Jul 04

And surely they must take up some of the valuable space on my Memory Stick -

bremner 11:43 26 Jul 04

No they take up no space whatsoever. Windows sees it as an empty space ready to be written to.

Sethhaniel 14:48 28 Jul 04

And that cleared it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…