how do i delete 1 OS and leave the 2nd on my HDD

Alex B 19:47 09 Mar 03

i have recently added winXP as a second operating system to my PC. im now happy that this runs ok. Is there any way that i can delete the Win98 SE that is also on my drive without reformatting the whole thing?

tony1160 21:42 09 Mar 03

i currently triple boot 98se/2000pro/xp pro,i think you would be best just to disable your first o/s(98se) in case you need it(playing games,etc)and if you was to remove 1st o/s you will not be able to boot anything your best 1.right click my computer icon, and click bottem option properties, 2 click advanced tab at top, 3. then towards bottem it will have start up and recovery click on this ,and at top unclick the (time to display other o/s,,,,and then xp will be your only booting o/s

woodchip 21:49 09 Mar 03

Yes with Acronis or Drive Image

tony1160 00:06 10 Mar 03

removing 98se>also removes boot header and msb record(dont)

temp003 03:09 10 Mar 03

If your 98 was on your C partition, and you set up your dual boot by using XP's own dual boot functionality, without using third party software, and you installed XP on a later partition, this is what you do.

You cannot format C because all the boot files are on C. (Well, you could, and then do a repair of XP afterwards to put the boot files back - but not necessary).

Two main steps to achieve what you want - (1) remove 98 as an OS in boot.ini (2) then delete the 98 files on your C partition.

To edit boot.ini, boot into XP, right click My Computer, select Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery > Settings.

In the box for default operating system, check that your default OS is "Microsoft Windows XP Home (or Professional)" /fastdetect. Normally it is, if you installed XP after 98. If so, go to the next step. If not, click the drop down list and select XP as the OS. Remember to click OK, OK. Then go back to Startup and Recovery > Settings.

Once XP is the default OS, click the edit button in Startup and Recovery Settings. The boot.ini file will open in Notepad.

Just make sure again that the "default" line reads "default=multi(0)disk(0)..." That's XP. If so, it's OK.

Under the section [operating systems], delete the line that reads C:\="Microsoft Windows" (It could also be C:\="Microsoft Windows 98). This is the only change you need to make. Save the changes and exit Notepad. Click OK in Startup and Recovery and exit Computer Properties.

Restart computer which will boot straight into XP without an OS selection screen.

Now you can start deleting files and folders on the C partition. Before you do that, make sure you do not delete any data you want to keep. Sometimes some programs may create subfolders (for data) within the C:\Program Files folder. Sometimes they create separate folders outside (e.g. a lot of media players or encoders create special folders to store media files). In the case of "mixed folders" - folders with program files and data -, you can move the data elsewhere before deleting the entire folder.

You can delete the entire C:\WINDOWS folder (it's very unlikely you'll have personal data files there). Subject to the warning above about data, the C:\Program Files folder can be deleted. This will not affect XP as it has its own WINDOWS and Program Files folders on its own partition.

Basically you can delete all folders except (1) any data you want to keep, and (2) the individual files immediately under the C drive, as a lot of them are still required by XP.

From memory, 98 creates the My Documents folder immediately under C as well. You can leave it alone if you want to keep storing your files there, but XP has its own My Documents folder for each user at [XP Partition]\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents.

You can also move all the data from the 98 C:\My Documents folder elsewhere, and then delete the C:\My Documents folder.

As to the little files in the C root directory, they are usually small in size and you can leave them alone. You must keep ntldr, and boot.ini, and pagefile.sys. If you have activated the hibernate function, keep hiberfil.sys as well. I would not fiddle with those files, except C:\bootsect.dos

You can delete the file C:\bootsect.dos. This is the file used to boot into 98 in a dual boot with XP. Safe to delete.

After all that, you can use the C partition for whatever purpose you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…