How do I cure an over-heating laptop??

Raywood 15:54 05 Dec 05

I have a 2 year old laptop, which has occassionally switched itself off (not shutdown) without warning. When it switches off the computer is hot to touch. However over the past two weeks I have noticed that the fans have got louder and more continuous. Now everytime I switch on the computer, after 30-40mins of use, it switches off. The laptop usually has the fan switch on or off to keep it cool. I have noticed that when I type the fan seems to rev up and down with pressure. I have checked the air inlets and outlets on my laptop and they are all clear. What can I do to make this computer quieter and cooler??

I have noticed that the processor can step down to a speed of about 800MHz from 2.67GHz, but I cannot find a setting in the bios to make the processor run slower than its 2.6GHz norm.

Freddog™ 17:07 05 Dec 05

Yes, I have had this problem. The fans on mine get louder when you block them, they start spinning faster. I use mine on a tray now (Defeats the point of a LAPtop I know!). Try that tell us if it works!

Freddog™

WhiteTruckMan 17:13 05 Dec 05

If the bearings are on their way out then perhaps they will grumble more (be noisier) and not spin as fast, with less cooling effect and hence overheating.....

WTM

Raywood 19:31 05 Dec 05

I have just tried the tray idea, which gave me longer use. However it still cutting out. I'm becoming concerned if tapping away on my computer keyboard can 'Block' the fans.

Does any body know how to underclock the processor until I can find a long-term fix?? I know this is a bizzare request, but I am looking to reduce the heat of my computer. I know windows can step the processor to around 800MHz but takes a long while to do so. My computer is a Quaddra XS (Clevo D400s).

Thanks in advance.

woodchip 19:44 05 Dec 05

Get a Vac, and try vents on laptop. you can also get laptop coolers that have fans built in. Not Expensive

click here

click here

Bottom left click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…