How do I create links without using the www

mooghaun 14:56 23 Sep 03

How do I add links to emails, documents or a website without using the www in front and the .com or co.uk at the end, so that when someone clicks on it, the website page will open.

In other words, rather than type click here how can I make something that can be clicked open by just putting in: MYNAME or click HERE, etc.

Help appreciated

Djohn 15:10 23 Sep 03

Not sure if you can. The www is part of the address that is required to make the "Click here" link. Although if you place the full url into an e-mail, it will appear at the other end in the same format, but in blue letters rather than a "Click here"

MichelleC 15:18 23 Sep 03

I think you can only do it in html, so would only apply to website where you can type anything and include the hyperlink. (or have I misunderstood?)

mooghaun 15:27 23 Sep 03

Thanks DJohn but there must be an answer, In a different posting that I have been just looking at in the PC Advisor forums: Microsoft Update Patch -Worm/Swen.A by Pesala,I noticed this:

"Just in case you don't know yet. MICROSOFT NEVER SEND PATCHES OR UPDATES BY EMAIL Do not open any attachment unless you know who it is from, and what it is."

Now if I clicked on the MICROSOFT it would take me to the microsoft website. Yet there is no www before the MICROSOFT nor is there a .com at the end.

There are other examples in the same posting: pc and internet that will take to websites.

So if I wanted to take the readers of this post to the Micsosoft website I'd have to put click here but how can I do it by just putting MICROSOFT.

MAJ 15:29 23 Sep 03

That's something that this forum does to certain keywords, mooghaun.

Djohn 15:32 23 Sep 03

I see what you mean now. Those are links that are made active by PCA as part of the advertising. If I type microsoft in lower case in this post, it too should change into an underlined link to M/S. Regards. j.

Djohn 15:34 23 Sep 03

It didn't but certain words like PC and internet will change. PCA choose different ones at different times. [I think]. j.

MAJ 15:35 23 Sep 03

To do what you want to do, in an email, type the word you want to be a hyperlink, "Microsoft" for example, then highlight that word and go to Insert > Hyperlink and enter the url of the Microsoft web site (or any other you wish), click OK and the word "Microsoft" will appear as a hyperlink so that when your recipient clicks on it, it will take them to the Microsoft web page.

mooghaun 15:42 23 Sep 03

Well Djohn and Maj, I'm a lot wiser now, thanks a million.

Also Maj, your last piece of information is exactly what I needed.

MAJ 15:45 23 Sep 03

Happy to help, mooghaun. :-)

Pesala 15:46 23 Sep 03

I've put some spaces, which I hope will stop the PC Advisor Forum converting it to a click here link.

<A HREF="http: //home.t-online.de/home/ulrich.stiehl/fonts.htm#HOT">Visit his website</A>

On many forums you the same thing like this:

[url=www . aimwell.org]My Website[/url]

The Serif Forum is similar, but not identical:

[LINK My Website]www . aimwell.org[/link]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…