How do I create an Index which stays accurate

timothywilliam 12:58 20 Mar 04

I use Windows Office 2000 in XP for my text documents.

Because I am interested in genealogy my documents become long and are heavily laden with names.
I want to create an Index of these names, and click the Show/Hide button as instructed in Windows Help, to monitor which names are already in the Index as I progress through the document building the Index. Thus I have pages with lots of Show added text in brackets confirming a particular name is already in the Index.

As I progress building the Index, further text on later pages starts to get pushed down the document. So by about page eight or so the original text entries have gone over to page nine although the original name was on page eight. I thus get a false page number entry with a new name when entered into the Index. It is accumulative and gets worse as I get further down the document text.

There must be a way around this. Can anyone help please ?

VoG II 13:06 20 Mar 04

Right click in Index, Update Field.

caast©? 13:11 20 Mar 04

what you are exactly wanting to do.

However I think if you Use excel there is an option to sort.(thing VoG is the person to ask)

If you have a host of items you want to sort, you can highlight what ever part you want and then do a sort, by Column, row, index, whatever.

It may be a bit of a long job transferring your data but in the long run could help.

caast©? 13:12 20 Mar 04

just too late, nice to see VoG on line

timothywilliam 19:47 20 Mar 04

You don't get a quicker answer than that !!!

One and a half hours.

VoG II 21:15 20 Mar 04

Erm, 8 minutes actually.

timothywilliam 15:24 21 Mar 04

Yea, sorry, I realised that after I sent the message but it took me that time to log back in again. Anyway, thanks- and it worked !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…